1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you really don't want a baby ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Apr 22, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why does that even come up in casual conversation?

Here's my adopted meth baby, isn't he adorable? Saved him from the abortion table.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's too bad clinics can't force women to get an IUD or have their tubes tied after their 3rd or so abortion.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My sister gave away three children and had three taken away before having herself "fixed" at the birth of the sixth.

Sad. Sad. Sad.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

5. RokSki

RokSki New Member

[​IMG]

All better than an abortion, IMO

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Post of the Year candidate ...

7. There is no way this thread is going to end well.

8. I just want to say a couple of things (rant) on this topic before Yawn and some others come on here and turn it to shit.

America has really screwed up the abortion debate. Both Pro-Life and Pro-choice are radical extremes that don't take into account real people.

Pro-lifers push abstinence only, which seems to really be unrealistic for most people. Then when the woman becomes pregnant because they have no idea how to use birth control, pro-lifers then push adoption on expectant mothers. And when they do give up their children, pro-lifers treat them like pariahs. What's worse, many "Christian" adoption firms aggressively push women very hard to give the child up so they can make a profit. And of course very rarely do they give women the therapy they were promised. It's a stone-cold business.

Pro-choice has done too well of a job telling mothers that the lumps in their bellies are disposable. They are so convinced they are right they do very little to try and persuade women to keep the baby. They also fail to give women any kind of therapy after abortions.

Neither side is worth a shit. I have many, many female friends and most have had at least one abortion that their parents probably don't even know about. And all have regretted it some fashion. Many have considered suicide. I know a couple whose abortions were a decade ago and still remember their "death days."

I have a very, very good female friend who had an abortion and then gave a second child away because she couldn't kill another but she couldn't take care of it either. She took a beating from her boyfriend who tried to kill it for her. She finally left him and now has a husband and a child of her own.

The abortion and the adopted child, who is now very happy with her adoptive family, weigh heavily on this woman. She almost expects something bad to happen to her own child now as punishment for what she's done. The twist is she went from very pro-life to a position considered more pro-life, even though she was basically lied to by the adoption firm who took her baby and treated her like shit when they had what they wanted.

Her options were to go back to her abusive boyfriend or hit the street. Do you think the adoption firm cared? They did nothing. Like I said, she left him but had to do it on her own with some personal cost.

But she is pro-life now. Why? Because when she had the child of her own she realized now that this wasn't a lifeless piece of flesh inside of her. It was a baby. She doesn't want young girls to make the same mistakes.

That's why we need to drop pro-life and pro-choice and treat the symptoms. Outlawing drugs hasn't worked, why would outlawing abortions? We need to do a better job of educating our young about sex, love, life, abortions and death. Get rid of the demand and we'll no longer have as much of a need for it.

Sure there are those who think of abortion as birth control but they are a product of our society, an absence of learning and caring. That's why I'm neither pro life or pro choice. I'm pro-education.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

It just struck me that with that level of commitment to non-parenthood, there were many options that were easier, and presumably less expensive, than what this woman chose. The extremely off-color thought I keep having is Bob Barker's line about having your pets spayed or neutered. It also struck me how monumentally unfair it is that this woman has carried 11 children and didn't want any of them and there are so many others who want them and can't have them.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

We also need to get the lawmakers and the courts out of the medical profession. It is not the place of the courts or legislators to say that "medical professionals say that late term abortions are rarely performed to save the mother's life so we don't need a medical exemption in the law banning that procedure." I'm just waiting for a mother to die because she couldn't have the procedure, the fetus to die with her, and then the father to take an oozi/automatic machine gun and let loose on every justice or legislator that said no medical exemption is ok.
    The courts and legislators aren't medical professionals. Every patient is different. That's why medical exemptions need to be in every law that tries to outlaw certain abortion procedures.
    The pro-lifers say that the mother should die so the fetus/baby can live. That is just so wrong. As a husband, and hopefully a father at some point in the future, if that choice ever came up, it would be a no-brainer- save my wife's life first.

11. You're right. It's a shame. I'm not excusing that. I wish there was a way better way to stop people who shouldn't be parents from reproducing. I think anyone who has an abortion once should be mandated to go through therapy (not brainwashing) and any other help they need (free birth control?) so they don't need it again. I'm also tired of seeing these women have kids and then letting their baby-daddys or their boyfriends shake the hell out of them or break their heads open.

Lots of things need to change.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted