1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you eat Chinese, are you sure it's beef and chicken and not dog?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chazp, May 6, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

Just found out today our local paper had a story this week about the health inspector finding a dog in the refridgator at a local (in a town close to where I live, not the town I work in) Chinese restaurant. The restaurant has won the paper's readers poll as the best Chinese food for five or six years running. I used to love to eat there. I am now sick. The owner told the health inspector that the dog was for his family's personal use and not added to the customer's food. Still you have to wonder, and we drove by the place today and instead of the parking lot begin packed like usual on Sunday, there were only four cars in the parking lot. I'm grossed out by the possibility of having eaten...I can't say it. Ever heard of this happening in a restaurant where you live. I don't think I'll be able to eat at any Chinese restaurant for a long time and it was my favorite food.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A Chinese restaurant I worked next door to in college supposedly got shut down after someone got sick eating cat. That was the rumor at least. I know when they closed we saw much fewer roaches.

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Chazp, you're making me sorry I stuck up for you on the journalism thread last night. :p

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I've said it once and I'll say it again: If Chinese food is dog or cat or some other odd animal then dog, cat or some other odd animal tastes damn good.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

One one hand, vegetarians probably look at people who eat cows, pigs and chickens and think it's all gross.

But .... dog? Fucking gross.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I lived in a city where the Chinese restaurant scandal came from "recycling" uneaten food. Someone would leave the pea pods and bamboo shoots on their plate and the busboy would put them back in the kitchen's supply. Perhaps another diner would like them later.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Kung Pao is Chinese for "tastes like," right? As in, Kung Pao Chicken...

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

It's like anything else, really.
    If someone else cooks it, I don't really know what goes into it.
    I assume they murdered some animals to make my leather coat.
    I wouldn't want a window into the kitchen of a restaurant I eat in.
    I wouldn't want to know if the pissed-off assembly line worker slipped something bad into that particular batch of Pepsi, because he had a fight with his boss that morning.

Some things are on a need-to-know basis. Plenty of things in my own personal control to worry about. Otherwise I'd never sleep, y'know what I mean?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

No, I'm never sure. But it's all you can eat, and cheap!

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Yes I'm sure. Dog is rather gamey. Cat? Tastes like chicken. ;)

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Chinese in a town where you live? Pass... Chinese in the county you live? Pass again...

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Dog? eh. I was watching Man Vs. Wild the other night when he stumbled on a zebra that had been picked almost clean. He cut open its neck and started pulling chunks of meat away with his teeth ...

Draft saved Draft deleted