1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When You Don't Want to Be a Resume Reference

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Shoot, does Scooter know he'll be getting in touch?

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Boy, does Dad sound blissfully unaware of his son's abilities.

I would make the kid work hard, just because -- as others have pointed out -- it sounds like he won't: "Look, I've got to say I feel really antsy about writing a recommendation for someone I've never worked with. Could you get three or four people you've actually worked with to shoot me a quick e-mail outlining some specific stories you've written or pages you've put together on deadline? Otherwise I'd just be writing a generic cover letter that no editor will care about."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Scooter does call, I would turn it on him.

"Why do you think I would say if they called?"

"Well, you could say I write and report good and stuff."

"I haven't seen you in action or read any of your stories. Can you give me an example of some good things you have done?"

"Well I did that girls' volleyball capsule for the school paper. I spelled most of the names right. Two of the bitches complained that I messed up their names."

"So then accuracy is something you strive for? I could say that?"

"Yeah, one of the girls was kinda cute, so it sucks that I pissed her off and all."

"What about your work ethic? What could I say about that?"

"I like to ski. That's hard work. You get tired. Especially going down the black diamond slopes after drinking peppermint schnapps for breakfast."

"Scooter, you can't fail. I hope to hear from Hungry Horse or Roswell soon."

"Yeah, thanks 20. Hey, I remember you being one of the MILFier of my parents' friends. Do you lke to ski? Can you bring some peppermint schnapps 'cause we're out and Wally lost his fake ID in the snow.

"....."

"Hello, 20? Hello? Wally says peach schapps would be OK, too, if they're out."

4. JackS

JackS Member

I think the concept of 21 "interviewing" this kid is silly. The potential employer can and will do an interview. What's the point of 21 doing one?

Either the kid has worked for you (or studied under you), or he hasn't. If the latter, your reference value is slim to none.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The goal is to make him realize himself how little he has to offer a potential employer rather than you telling him.

6. JackS

JackS Member

Yeah well, good luck with that. To me, the more likely outcome is 21 feeling more obligated than ever to be a reference when she doesn't want to.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

I don't know what it says about me, but this made me howl!!

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

21, let your mom interview him.

Draft saved Draft deleted