1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you don't buy fresh ingredients and prepare it yourself. ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I go to a local meat market where all of their meat is locally sourced. Pretty sure they're butchering it in the back. They make their own sausages as well. Cuts are always better and price is usally pretty comparable, if not cheaper. Only time I buy meat from the grocery store now is if I absolutely need something and the meat market is already closed for the night. Why anyone would buy the bulk of their meat at a supermarket is beyond me.

Many moons ago, when I was working in a gravel pit during my first and second year of college, one of the guys I worked told me how 98% of the meat his family eats, he hunts -- deer, bear, moose, elk, etc. The only time they don't eat game is when they have company over that isn't big on game meat. Healthier and I believe cheaper than the grocery store.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

About the only animals we could hunt in our Toronto neighbourhood are raccoons, squirrels and possum :)

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is why I was laughing when someone on that other thread brought up some "eat live a caveman diet." Forget the fact that an apple in a store today doesn't even resemble an apple from 50 years ago (about the third of the iron, but bred by be cosmetically pretty or more sugary in some way). Just in terms of your meat. ... Good luck trying to find that wild game that you can kill with a rock.

As for the IKEA meatballs, I also laughed when the Wall Street Journal referred to them as "IKEA's Iconic Meatball" in their story. I am really out of the mainstream.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This reminds me of a restaurant idea I had after the 2007 and 2008 Ky Derbies. You could have a menu featuring Eight Belles Chili and the infamous and delicious Barbaro Burger.

Draft saved Draft deleted