1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you don't buy fresh ingredients and prepare it yourself. ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 14, 2013.

1. So you buy meatballs from a home furnishing store and don't expect it to be made of horsemeat? Or sawdust?

Yeah, you get what you pay for.

2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Rat anus

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The meatballs are in the cafe. It's not like you just buy a bag of meatballs.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Actually, you can. They're in that little gift shop/specialty food stand near the registers.

www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/70028680/

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I believe "KÖTTBULLAR" is the Swedish word for "claiming race."

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Well played.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

8. Went to IKEA today and noticed the food posters have a sticker stating all the meatballs are from an American supplier.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/2013/02/28/chances-horse-meat-scandal-the/EHNrOCYwUjRF2rAp9ClEEI/story.html

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC & I buy about 99% of our meat from about four different farmers within about 100 kilometres of here.

One of the farmers sends all his animals to a local abattoir for "processing" but the farm butchers everything in their own facility. They have pastured raised chickens in the summer that will be processed after about three months and their average weight is 9-14 lbs. We know exactly what we're buying and we know that all animals are treated humanely. And best of all, everything---beef, lamb, chickens and pork taste significantly better.

The problem here is that the final product that you buy from most supermarkets has gone through so many hands in the industrial process that it's almost impossible to trace the source of everything that's in the burger or ground beef you're buying. And the FDA has basically allowed the large corporations to dictate things like packaging and what can be claimed as "organic", most of which is bullshit.

My brother was a vegetarian for about a decade, not because he thought eating meat was morally wrong, but because he didn't know where it was coming from. He's returned to eating meat now that he lives in rural Ontario and buys directly from the source (or from a local farmer's market)

The idea that eating horse meat is somehow more objectionable than beef, lamb or pig is a North American prejudice. Europeans eat it regularly

And horse meat or not, IKEA''s meatballs with their lingonberry sauce are delicious. And yes, you can buy them in their store.

11. Eating horse meat is not just a North American prejudice. It's also a fairly new addition (19th Century) to the diets of some Europeans.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/explainer/2011/10/slaughtering_horses_for_meat_is_banned_in_the_u_s_why_.html

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not sure the 19th century qualifies as a "fairly new addition"

Draft saved Draft deleted