1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you don't buy fresh ingredients and prepare it yourself. ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 14, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Seriously, I personally don't see much difference between eating a horse or a chicken. They are both disgusting.

But this is one reason why 95 percent of what we eat, we prepare ourselves from fresh ingredients.

For the people who eat meat, does this gross you out, or would finding it out be no big deal to you?
  2. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Let's not forget Burger King www.timesunion.com/news/article/Burger-King-drops-supplier-linked-to-horsemeat-4225844.php and Aldi

But counterfeits circulate everywhere, even the vegetable bin.

3. The Big Ragu

I sometimes wonder about "phony organic" products. If I didn't grow it, I have no idea what someone did to it. That said, Marion Nestle went into this in depth in "What to Eat." She provides quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that cheating on certified organic products is really pretty rare. When you are certified organic, the only thing you are selling is your credibility, and by and large, the types of farmers who are into growing organic produce, keep records, and pay for inspections and certification, to bolster their credibility.

Even so, we don't necessarily buy organic fruit and vegetables. We do buy a lot of organic stuff, because we buy some of our food from farmers markets where we know the growers. But as Michael Pollan has put it in the things he has written, organic is important, but it's not the last word on how to grow food well. Plus, there are a gazillion processed organic products in the supermarket that are not good for you, even if they can legitimately put the word "organic" on the label.

We can only control what we can control. Yes, soils rich in organic matter, rather than chemicals, grow more nutritious foods. So if you can go that way you are doing yourself a favor. But even if you can't, or don't think you can guarantee that the organic label is legit (and it likely is), fresh is still fresh. When I buy a bell pepper, I know it is a bell pepper. It's not an onion. And no matter how it was grown, it is healthier for me than an oreo -- even an organic oreo.

That is the difference here for me. I know everything that went into the ratatouille we made over the weekend. The eggplant was an eggplant. The peppers were peppers. The cherry tomatoes were cherry tomatoes. The cilantro was cilantro. I don't have to wake up tomorrow and wonder how horse meat got into it.

4. Why is chicken disgusting?
    Do you eat pork?
  5. The Big Ragu

Nah. If it had a face, I don't eat it.
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think horse meat is any worse than chicken meat or pig meat or cow meat.

I do think the way this is described is funny. The meat is "mislabeled," the products are "tainted."

And if they are throwing horse meat into the mix, I doubt very much they would be giving the horses "bute."

Why spend money to medicate a horse you are going to slaughter? Unless it is fresh from the race track.
  7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What if the pig had a better personality? Say, 10 times more charming than that Arnold on "Green Acres"? Know what I'm saying?
  8. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Carne di cavello ragu? Basta dire de no nay neigh.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ragu, I respect your position, but eons of human evolution have left me a confirmed meat eater, and I doubt I'll ever change. I will note that the farmers markets of towns in Provence often have stands selling live rabbits, chickens, goats, etc. which are meant to be taken home, slaughtered, dressed and eaten. Can't get much fresher than that.
  10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Part of the issue is that if you can't trust what's on the package, that applies across the board. And while the aversion to eating horse is primarily societal, there have also been incidences of pork being found in products labeled as beef, which has serious ramifications for large groups of people.

But yeah. When you buy eight burgers for £1, which is the kind of stuff being affected, what do you expect?
  11. The Big Ragu

Ms. Ragu grew up in a rural place in Europe. ... 95 + percent of their diet was fruit and veggies, which they grew themselves. She rarely eats meat anymore, in part because of me. But her parents still have rabbits and chickens. The chickens are mostly for eggs, but a few times a year, they grab a rabbit, kill it and eat it. I'm not on board with it, but if you are going to eat an animal, there is something in me that says you should have to look it in the eye and kill it first. Whenever we are at her parents, we visit the rabbits, and I work on her a bit. I'll never change her dad, and at this point she gets me, so it's mostly for fun. ... but I start doing the, "Look at that cute little thing. Isn't he adorable? Can we name him? Please?"
  12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

After watching enough nature shows, I have no guilt left for eating other animals. I was watching Big Cat Diary the other night, and two sister lionesses (one with a bum leg) cornered and killed some kind of boar with a determination that would make Chris Dorner jealous.
Draft saved Draft deleted