1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will you die?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Point of Order, a sports writer for the Small Town Gazette, passed away in his home on Feb. 1, 2030. He was 50 years old, massively overweight and a smoker.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

We came in seven years apart and we're going out seven years apart.

You still can't have my shit.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly why I don't want to look. I've got a family history of cancer, high blood pressure and heart disease and a history of pretty short life spans on one side of the family, so I REALLY don't wanna know.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have known since the age of 12 that I will die on Sept. 26, but I do not know the year.

My goal is to live to age 132 and make it to the 22nd century (which, with future medical advances, who knows?).

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Happy birthday to me! Only seven months to go. At least I don’t have that whole anniversary thing looming any more.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This didn’t age well.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm 16 years dead.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Did you at least get a date with that girl?

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

His obit sure did, though.
    How about we stay classy and stick with that.

Ron Drogo, former staffer in Star-
    Ledger sports department, dies at 61

“Nobody cared about or was more passionate about local sports than Ron, and no one knew more,” Record Sports Editor John Balkun said. “We’re all crushed by this. I was just talking to another editor the other day about top employees, and Ron was at the top. He was just an incredibly valuable guy to have around.” ...

“When I made up the schedule, Ron was the most valuable guy I had, because you could plug him in anywhere,” said a close friend, Moss Klein, the former Yankees beat stalwart who later became assistant sports editor at the Ledger. “If you needed a copy editor, a paginator, a guy to handle the high school page, he could do any of it and do it well. He excelled at everything.”

And then there's this ... 42 pages' worth: Ron Drogo, (spnited), RIP

So I guess I'd say spnited's legacy here is still holding up just fine.
    And that means more than some dumbass death clock, wouldn't you say?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The good news: My immune system apparently is even better than I could have imagined.
    The bad: I need to re-calculate and plan on taking less out of the 401(k) each year.
    The good: Surely I'll see another SEC football championship before I die.
    The bad: I probably won't.

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 12.08.13 PM.png

TigerVols likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read that kids today are expected to live to 100 - or at least there will be so many that it won't be a big deal anymore. Leads me to questions about retirement age, working for 45 years and then living another 30? I'm pretty sure I'll be working to at least 70. But I think we do need to rethink "retirement" - if you've got the bucks, retire when you want - but perhaps for most normal people you retire from working full-time, ease into a part-time gig for another 10 until you really can no longer work. It might save Social Security and keep many retirees from outliving their savings and having to downgrade their living conditions when they are most vulnerable.
    Also had the thought - better to die suddenly, no pain or suffering - or a brief illness where you have time to gather your thoughts and say the things you want to say to the people who matter most?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted