1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will we bring back the craft discussions?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NotMikeLupica, Jul 23, 2015.

1. NotMikeLupica

NotMikeLupica New Member

I just finished reading every post from every thread involving Jones and jgmacg. After I was finished, I looked at the date, and couldn't believe that we haven't had anything that interesting posted in years. Anyone up for it?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. NotMikeLupica

NotMikeLupica New Member

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Jones needs to grillax, bro.

MisterCreosote likes this.
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Does Jones have any blood left in those veins after the Twitter bender?

6. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

The lack of craft discussion is really, really disappointing. It's why I joined SJ during my junior year in college. I'd be all for it.

7. JohnHammond

No one is stopping you from discussing the craft. Jonesy is on the Twitter if you want a more-personalized experienced.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

We've had a few incarnations of craft threads in intervening times -- a thread of periodic story examples posted by Double Down and a thread of, I think, a year's top newspaper/video work examples posted by Alma come to mind -- where people would give analysis and opinions of the articles and suggestions and thoughts regarding what maybe could or should have been done differently.

Participation in such threads, though, either tends to tail off, or never get off the ground in the first place, for a variety of reasons. The main one is that posters really have to put in time, thought and effort to participate well and keep such threads going. And I think the problem is, people don't usually come here actually wanting to work, after work.

I'm not saying that's good or bad -- personally, I always enjoyed such threads and tried to do my part to participate -- but that's what happens, I think.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    SFIND likes this.
  9. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Write hit on the head. DD's series was pretty awesome when it was going, but the problem was there were only a handful of people that were involved. It just stinks that it seems that those types of discussions don't generate as much interest as they did a few years ago.

10. JohnHammond

Craft doesn't pay. There is more benefit for budding sports writers if they figured out BuzzFeed's formula.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

God, it makes me so sad that this is true. A listicle like "Top 10 Baseball Players Who Are So Fetch" is going to get 100 times the traffic that a well-researched and well-written article will get.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Craft discussions are absolutely welcome. I'd love to see more of them. Maybe it doesn't pay...but it doesn't mean we can't discuss it.

Write-thinking is correct in his/her analysis, I believe. But, maybe with Boom gone, Jones et al will come back. Who knows?

Draft saved Draft deleted