1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will they get it right?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ringer, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The answer to that is a resounding zero.

A more curious question is how many GAMES --- not sets, just GAMES --- the 128 women would win.

I say < 10.

And at the risk of threadjack, the men/women dichotomy is good evidence of why golf cannot stand with the other sports as a pure test of athletic ability.

Serena Williams, Candace Parker, Sanya Richards, Natalie Coughlin, etc., CANNOT compete with their male counterparts in their sport.

But Annika Sorenstam can enter a men's golf tournament, and while she may not make the cut, she WILL beat some men.

Golf is unique in that way. And I do not say that as a compliment.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And given the fact that we're talking Bobby Riggs, here . . . won't be shaken out of my belief that given his status as a marked favorite in that match, he simply proceeded to take the substantial odds -- and bet against himself.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True, but it's highly unlikely that Sorenstam would win the entire tournament.

Now, on the other hand, if you take a guy ranked No. 100 in the world among the men and allow him to enter an LPGA event, he immediately becomes the favorite.

To me, it's a silly argument. There is a niche for women's sports --- and it's grown tremendously in the last couple of decades. But aside from gymnastics, I can't think of a women's sport that outdraws it's male counterpart at the gate, on television or in marketing.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Perhaps figure skating.

And it is interesting that the U.S. Open women's tennis final is held in prime time, whereas the men's is still a late afternoon start.

I guess CBS' Sunday prime time lineup has been so strong for so long that they don't want to risk screwing it up for a tennis match that could conceivably be David Nalbandian vs. Nikolay Davydenko. Saturday is pretty much a throwaway night for TV ratings, so the risk is much less.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm willing to bet a small amount of money that women's beach volleyball outdraws men's.

And in addition to the possiblity of Davydenko making a major final, men's matches last longer. So that might -- might --play into why the men's final starts earlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted