1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will the Soulja Boy dance die?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Jan 4, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hinder didn't put a new album out last year.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

No. But there is more stupid-ass shit hitting the radio every day.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You know what this means, don't you?

First you complain about the music the kids play. Then you complain about their weird clothes. All of a sudden, you're buying a minivan, bitching about how TV has gone to pot and having backyard barbecues.

Yep ... your post was the first sign of old age. :D

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wrong, and here's why:

I LOVE the shit on the radio. I just don't think it's high art.

5. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I love it when something like this enters the meta-mainstream.

There's something deliciously subversive about a song gaining widespread acceptance by a public that would blanch at the actual meaning. It's kind of like four years ago, when 'Lil John was all the rage and junior high dances were held to the sounds of "Skeet, skeet, skeet!"

You just know that somewhere in, like, Dingleberry, Okla., a prep girls hoops game is starting with the home team running out to "superman dat hooooooo!" And that's a beautiful thing.

Just watch. Next up, some rapper will drop a catchy tune with a hook like "Let's eat cupcakes, y'all." And it'll be a full year before suburban America learns that's slang for inserting a ferret into a dead hooker's rectal cavity.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Along those lines, I've found it funny when high school dance/cheer teams have done routines to Pink's "You and Your Hand Tonight" this year.

7. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I heard that's your theme song :D

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sadly no. It is, however, Mike's.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

One thing's for sure, hoops. This thing might never die in Athens.

Let's be honest ... Richt still has a butt-cut. Trends don't die so quickly down there.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

OK, I just got home and watched this. Damn, it sucks. The beat sucks. They can't rhyme worth shit. How did this catch on?

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

There is a naive simplicity about the beat and hook, which often can lead to catchiness, but I think it's because people get to go "Ohhhhhh!" a lot.

They like that, you know. Participatory.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I just heard of it for the first time. If that doesn't mean it's dead, I don't know what does.

Draft saved Draft deleted