1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will the first gay active pro athlete come out?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This thread is gay. :D

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hater!

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't believe those gays exercise their own right to free speech and make use of their marketing and economic muscle. And the nerve of them to try to convince other people that the discrimination has gone on long enough!

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thread got me wondering, have any there been any major members of the sports media that have come out besides Steve Buckley?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What counts as "major"? Who was/is the Las Vegas columnist?

6. LongTimeListener

I believe Selena Roberts made some sort of statement in the wake of the A-Rod book controversy, though I don't think she was trying to keep anything secret before that.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't recall Selena Roberts making any statements about her gender. That would have been pretty big news.

Hopefully you have not outed her on SJ.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Jared Max came out on the air last week on ESPN radio in New York. Hopefully, he will not be treated by teams the same way the Cincinnati Reds treated Les Nessman.

9. LongTimeListener

I am not sure if you are trying to make a joke with "gender," but if we are talking only about male media figures, I was not clear on that. Regarding her sexuality, however, I Googled and see that she did indeed discuss it, saying Whitlock was trying to out her with his rant which was curious since she is already out.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

And the nerve of those who don't think marriage should be between members of one gender to speak against it! Sarcasm for sarcasm...

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Serious question, printdust. Why should marriage be what you say it has to be? Why do you get to tell people what is OK relationshipwise, and what isn't? No animus in the question. Just curious about how you are going to answer.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

Hey, I don't care about it as long as you allow polygamists to marry. And while you're at it, you might as well eliminate age of consent - not for polygamy - but for anyone. Because 17 can be pushed to 16, then 15, then 14....heck in the Bible, it was at times 12. You want liberty, then by damn, make it universal by getting the government out of the bedroom altogether. On the other hand, if it is about rights such as hospital visits, insurance and wills, then adopt a dependent law that anyone who mutually depends on you for their life gets counted as a dependent. That would allow seniors who share expenses the same rights.

But don't force churches to perform the services, since you liberals want a clear separation of church and state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.