1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will the first gay active pro athlete come out?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Once again, well-said. The uproar will come from the fans and the media, who will insist on asking every player on the local team how they feel about playing against said player.

I don't think 95 percent of the players will care at all.

2. Mizzougrad96

I don't think Joakim Noah or Kobe Bryant care.

It's the Tim Hardaway types that people need to worry about.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Time will tell but I think there's others who feel a certain way but have been made afraid to say anything, because this is becoming one of those issues where free speech is choked, strangled and beaten in a growing number of situations.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Here's some news, the vast majority of gay athletes do not lust after heteros; at least that's what my non-hetero friends have told me over the years. They can read signals as to who is and who is not hetero, its not that hard; and they don't want to convert non-believers. Don't worry, they're not trying to give you the "gay."

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

What is it you want to say? What right to speech has been taken from you? What word or phrase do you long to use but can't?

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Is it "I'm gay"?

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing this would be a bigger issue in baseball than football or basketball. I doubt it would even register in hockey.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

I'm talking about anyone who speaks against it. It'll be hate speech. Right now, if you're a businessman, they protest your business and try and get you closed down, or fired. If you're an athlete who speaks against it, you wonder if you'll lose endorsements because of the radicals who will call for if not that, your removal from the league.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For the second time on one thread:

There is no "hate speech" law in this country.

There has never been a (lawful) "hate speech" law in this country.

Hopefully, there will never be a "hate speech" law in this country.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Speaks against" what?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Newsflash to printdust: Any public figure who makes controversial statements of any political stripe risks losing fans, business. It's the Michael Jordan "Republicans buy shoes, too" rule, instituted before the controversial statement of his Hanes Hitler mustache.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think he's trying to get at gay marriage. I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.