1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will the first gay active pro athlete come out?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Nice to see you all making light of my friends that put their lives on the line simply for being who they are,

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Firefighters?

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Not that this counts as a major pro athlete coming out, but figure it would be good point of reference for this thread:

http://news.pba.com/post/2011/5/19/PBA-Rookie-of-the-Year-Scott-Norton-Being-gay-doesne28099t-define-who-I-am-as-a-person-or-as-a-professional-athlete.aspx

4. ringer

ringer Active Member

Please explain this when you have a moment.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is this really in debate?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get your point, but lesbianism is homosexuality. Just sayin.

7. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At some point, an athlete will be the Ellen DeGeneres of sports. They'll come out and there will be a media uproar. When that uproar dies down, then you'll see more and more people come out.

Will that happen soon? I doubt it.

The worst thing that could happen would be if the first person to come out is a Rodman or a Williams type, who was already regarded as an outcast or an introvert.

If the first person who does is a "Wow, never would have guessed that one." it would be a lot better because it would let the ignorant know that not every homosexual fits the stereotype. If the guy does fit the stereotype, it will lessen the impact.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not really, because I don't know of anyone who is assumed to be gay.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really countless athletes have come out of the closet, but the masses won't be satisfied until it's marquee player the likes of Tom Brady, A Rod or Derek Jeter.

A retired superstar like a Brett Favre, Reggie Jackson or Robbie Alomar won't cut it.

11. YankeeFan

Movie premise: Star athlete pretends to be gay. "Comes out." (Or maybe is mistakenly thought to be gay and is accidently outed, like the Seinfeld episode with Jerry & George.)

Becomes media darling, role model, and product spokesman. All while hiding his terrible secret -- he's straight.

Hilarious hijinks ensue.

12. YankeeFan

How dumb can these guys be? The first (and worst) insult they can come up with is to call someone a f**got.

When the worst thing you can be in many of your teammates' eyes is gay, would you want to come out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.