1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will the first gay active pro athlete come out?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Resounding answer -- who gives a rat's ass?
    Dogs lick their balls every day, but I don't want to see that in the paper, either.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Or soon-to-be, right? I think rumors about both have been openly talked about on here.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Bleacher Report's ;) top current NFL players:

10.) Larry Fitzgerald, Wide Receiver, ARI
    9.) Andre Johnson, Wide Receiver, HOU
    8.) Nnamdi Asomugha, Cornerback, OAK
    7.) Chris Johnson, Halfback, TEN
    6.) Troy Polamalu, Safety, PIT
    5.) Tom Brady, Quarterback, NWE
    4.) Albert Haynesworth, Defensive Tackle, WAS
    3.) Adrian Peterson, Halfback, MIN
    2.) Drew Brees, Quarterback, NWO
    1.) Peyton Manning, Quarterback, IND

4. Point of Order

Timely. I just saw where the president of the Phoenix Suns and Don Lemon came out this weekend. Lemon's comments about being gay and black are especially interesting with respect to how coming out might be received in the black-dominated pro sports (football and basketball).

http://goodmenproject.com/newsroom/lemon-welts-coming-out/

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's on that list.

I have no idea if it's true. But the coach had no reason that I know of to lie. He was clearly drunk, but he told us a lot of other things that night that were accurate about other players/coaches etc... . That's why if you cover the NFL, you make sure you go to the combine and make sure you're at one of the 6-8 main restaurants at a certain time so you can get the drunken ramblings of a coach/agent/GM/etc.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know they have for one. Not sure about the other.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think lesbianism has less stigma than homosexuality. Women are expected to connect more closely then men and than lessens the impact. (I'm not even figuring in the whole 'men want to watch two women do it' factor.

It will be a big deal when the first active pro athlete comes out because IT'S A BIG FUCKING DEAL. Gay people are not yet accorded equality in many places.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Does it lessen the impact if it is someone everyone already figured was kind of different? Example: Dennis Rodman, when active. Or Ricky Williams.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

So glad I'm not the only one.

Athlete's jobs are done on the field, court, ice or some other type playing surface. When they're off it, it's their business -- so long as they're charged with anything.

Why does it matter? It seems the country is obsessed over people's sex lives. Why do spectators need to know about any athlete's private life? And, given that it's not fans' business, why should an athlete suddenly put his or her sexual life on display?

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Because many think their sex lives are actually interesting to other people. I can't think of anything less.

11. Point of Order

Because gay people are still a prime target of hate in this country.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You know that you're costing that dog a scholarship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.