1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will the first gay active pro athlete come out?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But your religious/moral views are largely irrelevant, and they're not going to change the fact that some people are attracted to members of the same sex. What's the point to objecting to a fact?

Do you object to the fact that the earth is round?

And just practically speaking, the acceptance of gay people and the idea of gay marriage only continues to grow. In a generation, the issue will largely be moot.

So, why fight something that's inevitable? Your energy is better spent elsewhere and, politically, it's a loser in the long term.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nobody thinks you are winning this argument, printdust. I don't think even you think you are winning, so please don't try to use my criticism of secretariat's childishness as some kind of validation of your point of view. It isn't. It's just him being who he is.

3. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

On the contrary. I'm trying to help him. He's been spouting this crap since he was bobblehead. It's time to let go of the hate.

http://www.itgetsbetter.org/

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. There is still a difference between what we allow consenting adults to do and what we allow minors to do.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

At least Connecticut is consistent: 16 is the minimum in any state, including theirs. They want gay marriage, fine. Add polygamy between consenting adults then everyone has their liberty.

6. YankeeFan

See, this is stupid.

We've been over this before, but if calling someone "gay" is a put down, this does nothing to end that practice.

7. secretariat

I'm not putting him down at all. I'm trying to help him.

Unlike him, I don't have a problem with gays. Nor do I see it as a pejorative.

http://www.itgetsbetter.org/

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Let me explain this to you very slowly.

A minor is defined as below 18 in California and 16 in Colorado.

You bitch because one state doesn't allow gay marriage and another does.

Yet you seem to ignore the existing contrasts in state law according to age/consent laws.

9. YankeeFan

Jesus, I posted before I saw outofplace's posts. Strange bed fellows. (No pun intended.)

And, I still strongly disagree with secretariat's posts.

10. secretariat

That's fine. Free country and all.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Your argument doesn't follow. Differing ages of consent mean that the right to marriage occurs at a different age. This is not the same as the right not being conferred at all, IMO.

12. YankeeFan

Print, speaking slowly doesn't make your arguments any better.

Spend your energy elsewhere. Spend it where you can be productive.

Your losing, whether you believe it or not. And, your views on this issue will make it harder for you (us) to build consensus on other, larger issues where your efforts could make a difference.

Your views on this issue will make you radioactive. (Maybe not today, maybe not where you live, but eventually.) It will make it impossible for you to be effective on other issues that matter to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.