1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When will Joe get Yank-ed out of the South Bronx?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 18, 2007.

?

Should the Yanks struggle in the next two series (at Mets and vs. Red Sox), do Joe Torre and Brian C

1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. No.

20 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Maybe.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Gold

Gold Active Member

Here's what I wonder:

If they are 50-50 in July and in danger of missing the playoffs, could a move to another manager be sold to Jeter and could the move be done?

The problem with figuring these things out is this - the move I suggested might be made in a normal situation to try to spark things. But I don't think you can do that in New York with Joe Torre, unless fans start booing him. Not that he is to blame - he doesn't have Jeff Nelson and Mike Stanton setting up Mariano.

And shame on you spnited, getting pleasure from seeing the misery of Yankees fans.

2. KP

KP Active Member

Or could you see them releasing/trading Clemens to someone in contention.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly. The fact that they had so much success the last 10 years does not mean it will happen this year. It won't make the pitching staff any better. It won't turn the clock back on all of their aging players. It's not impossible, but it's also not impossible that the Pirates would rip off 20 wins in a row. Ok, that's a little less possible, but....

Cashman definitely has to take some blame for this. He supposedly had taken control over the last year or two. Igawa has been a disaster, and that has to fall on him. So does turning first base over to Phelps and Mientkiewicz and failing to get any real effective help for the bench or the bullpen.

4. I agree, Dan. I doubt Joe and Brian Cashman will be fired. Is there any one really that good that can step in at this time? I don't think Mattingly or Girardi would be any better. Piniella would be that guy, but he is in Chicago.

As for Roger, maybe it mattered for the Yankees to sign Roger, but with him signing his contract, those words by George now mean nothing. If Clements wants to quit now because his manager will be fired, then more power to him for leaving that generous contract behind. For the life of me, I wonder why Clemens wanted to sign with the Yankees. Boston was a better fit for him.

Changing managers will not get this team to turn young, pitch better, or etc. This team is what they are which is a lifeless old team with no pitching. Joe Torre was a genius in the late nineties because he had great pitching. Now, he is a dummy because his starters can't go deep in the innings and his bullpen is unreliable.

As for fans revolting, well from listening to sports radio and reading NYYfans.com, it sounds like fans are ready for a change. I know most Yankees fans that I speak to wanted Piniella here when the opportunity existed.

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

If the Yankees are trailing the Red Sox by double-digits on June 1st, I think you've got a point. Otherwise ... nah.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yanks are now 10 back of Boston.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Torre's not getting fired. But the Yankees are just about finished in the AL East. Another sweep by the Sox next week and it's over. But I wouldn't count them out of the wild card yet, just because.

If nothing else, Steinbrenner will keep torre on to a.) earn his money and b.) torture him.

And spnited, I presume you meant to refer to Bobby Abreu as the OFer who has already mailed it in, not Damon. Damon is at least legitimately hurt. Abreu's passionless play is starting to make the haters in Philly look prescient.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Damon may be legitimately hurt, but he also has his head up his ass. Tonight, he rips a leadoff single to short left field off of Oliver Perez. Inexplicably, Damon tried to stretch the single into a double, and was thrown out by Endy Chavez.

With Jeter and ARod hitting behind him, why would Damon take that risk?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Another question: Would the Yankees ever consider trade offers for Mr. Yankee?

Say some team desperate for a solid middle infielder offers the Yankees a top pitching prospect, an A-minus everyday player and a very good setup man for Derek Jeter. Do you take it?

He's obviously on the back nine, and they're never gonna get anything more for him.

Of course, I think it's a long shot. There's more likelihood of A-Rod and Clemens shipping themselves out of town to play for the Nippon Ham Fighters.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think his contract is far too expensive and expansive for many teams to take on. Same thing with Abreu and ARod and Giambi and, well, you get the idea.

They need an infusion of youth, especially positionally. Cabrera and Cano and minor-league outfielder Jose Tabata are the crown jewels, but no one is sure what Tabata and Cabrera are? Are they superstars? Are they good, but not great players? Are they awful?

The next question the Yankees have to answer is who replaces Mariano Rivera as the closer?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Giambi's seven-year, $120 million deal runs out at the end of 2008.
    Abreu's deal is done at the end of the year, and any team would be nuts to pick up his $16 million option.
    Jeter's deal runs through 2010. The money is not unreasonable compared to what someone like Soriano or Ramirez is making.
    If a team were looking to make a splash and get some veteran leadership in the clubhouse, Jeter's deal is not unmanageable.
    Again, I'm not saying that it would happen. But it's possible.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but then the team that acquires Jeter to get some veteran leadership in the clubhouse would still need to get some veteran leadership in the clubhouse.

Draft saved Draft deleted