1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When was the last time your paper had boxing as a cover centerpiece?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Boxing's making a comeback nationally. That might not mean much to your local daily, but in the bigger picture there have been a ton of good matches made recently and the pay per view buy rates are really picking up.

2. Did you see her box? Sorry, couldn't resist.

We've had local boxing as a centerpiece, but never a national fight in my five years here. And thinking back to previous shops, I can't recall having a national boxing centerpiece.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a few years back we had espn/pay-per fights in our coverage area. it was hard to ignore something like that.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yes and on a fairly regular basis, but my joint is a little unusual.
    Boxing One local boxer is a big deal here, after that, I don't know the interest level. At first glance, I didn't see anything about Mayweather/Hatton in today's section.
    I'm trying like hell to find a place in town that is showing it, but so far I've struck out. The Mayweather/Hatton 24/7 show on HBO has been incredible, really got my interest up.

5. JLawson

JLawson Member

We used to have them on a regular basis for two reasons: Former "Contender" boxer Joey Gilbert is from Reno, that worked until this whole steroids/meth story broke now it's what kind suspension will he face. Also we have Steve Sneddon who knows almost everything there is to now about boxing and can call nearly anyone related to boxing on their home phone.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

tyson?

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Our paper has done several local boxing CPs, but I can't remember a time in the last 10 years when big-time pro boxing was featured. It's a shame to. Boxing used to be huge. But, certain factors ruined it.

I recall a scene from "Hot Shots!" set at a boxing match. Guy says "This should be a good fight. Both men work for Don King."

Draft saved Draft deleted