1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When was the last time your paper had boxing as a cover centerpiece?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 6, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I can remember only one in the last 10 years at my papers and that was a local story.
    <a href="http://www.latimes.com/includes/sectionfronts/D1.pdf">
    Seeing today's L.A. Times front (if you view this page Friday and therefter, the front likely won't be on this link anymore) prompted the question. Its centerpiece is on the Mayweather-Hatton fight. I barely had heard about this fight and know it will end up in briefs in our paper.</a>

It seems like boxing, even during the Olympics, never ends up on the cover of most papers since Tyson fell out of the spotlight.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The fact that most matches start close to our deadlines and end after them doesn't help.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Boxing makes our cover a couple of times a year. We have a pretty good local kid that is rising in the ranks and we have covered some of his fights. We also have some pretty good Golden Gloves here and they tend to make the cover a twice a year or so.

4. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

mayweather-hatton is the real thing.

if it was 1980 this would be leonard-duran I.

yes, boxing is down - mostly because of the political fragmentation - it's impossible for the public to sort it out.

but this one is the real thing. two good young fighters in their prime. contrasting styles, both in the ring and out.

mayweather-delahoya was ho-hum. not this one.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't remember a time.

6. VJ

VJ Member

We've had an ongoing series following a local boxer on the U.S. Olympic team, plus I think we did one for De La Hoya/Merriweather this year. And then a Tyson fight in the area the year before. Probably averaging 1 a year.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We had some local fights six or seven years ago that served as the centerpiece. As far as national fights, I'd guess the Lewis-Tyson fight. Not sure for certain, though.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The Lewis-Tyson fight in Memphis made our front, due to proximity.

Boxing, generally, seems so fringe-y to me at this point it would have to be an unusual situation. Now, when Ali dies, that's a centerpiece.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I would think Ali would go on the front of A Section, not Sports.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I think you'd probably have a main story on the front of A and a column and sidebar on the sports front.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well,you'd like to think that, yes.

I'm sure there are shops where that won't get accomplished without a, um, fight.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At my last paper I ran a long story on a local girl boxer.

Draft saved Draft deleted