1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When was the last time you bought a keg?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 26, 2009.

1. MY neighbor just came down to offer me some free pitcher(s) of beer. He bought a keg last night to celebrate his birthday... He is under 25 with a wife and two kids. Said they had about 25 people over last night.
    The have a half-keg of Yuengling leftover. He paid $98 for the beer. $50 for the keg deposit and is the place is charging him $2 a day for every day after todat he keeps the keg. 25 people can't drink a keg of beer :(
    I can't remember the last time I bought keg or attended a party (weddings and parties you have to pay to attend don't count) where there was a keg.
    Probbaly the last time was in college, when I had a summer party at my house or when our fraternity used to have the spring retreats.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Last night. ;D

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What ever happened to $20 deposits?

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Does a pony keg count?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

College.

My best (and worst) keg story--it is 23 years ago, which just makes me say wow.

A guy across the hall from me in my freshman dorm played Frosh football. Big guy. His older brother played football and was in a fraternity. My wing of the dorm had some real animals (or the closest thing to animals the geeky school I went to would have). I was not one of them. One weeknight, the guy from across the hall comes back with a half full keg that was left over from a get together at his brother's fraternity. Him and a few others carry it into the dorm, and they start gathering people to polish it off. It's 1 in the morning, maybe. I am fast asleep in my room. They come and wake me and tell me I have to start drinking. I say no. I have a class at 8 or 9. They are hearing no part of that. They pick me up and carry me across the hall, set me down with a mug and start feeding me beer. That one beer turns into several beers. And I start getting drunk. Funneling the beer, chugging glasses -- and now I am drunk and suddenly on a goofy mission to make sure this half keg gets polished off.

There weren't too many of us, but we finish off the keg, and I guess I stumbled across the hall back to bed and passed out. I drank a lot of it.

An hour or two later, my alarm, which I had set before going to bed the night before (and before they came and dragged me out of bed) goes off. And I am still drunk, but so out of it that I get up and get ready for class. I make it to class, and it was my one small freshman class. Maybe 30 people in a room with an instructor. My friend sitting next to me, said he could see it coming -- I was shifting around in my seat uncomfortably and my face was turning green. Then all of a sudden, I make a gurgling noise, get up, walk calmly across the room, past the prof. and out the door. I step outside, and before the door hadseven shut behind me . ...... "Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" Puke all over the hallway. The prof. came to the door and was looking at me through the window, shaking his head.

I didn't live it down that semester. Not one of my better moments, but OK telling it 23 years later and laughing.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My brother lived in house with about 9 other guys in college. In the winter, if they had leftover beer in the kegs, they would put them outside. Then in a few weeks, when they had another party, they'd send the people they didn't know outside to drink the old beer, and use the money they paid to drink the new beer which was on ice in the basement. No one ever caught on.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I got back a few hours ago from a pig roast. It's an annual celebration for my brother and his friends and he invited me to join him this year. I'd say there were probably 50-60 people and in two and a half days we went through nine kegs, 6-7 cases of beer and various bottles of liquor.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Never.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Sounds like my kind of event.

11. Only if you are a girl.

A tiny girl.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sounds like my backyard when I was growing up with my uncles drinking around the pig and each with a loaf of fresh Itailian bread.

Why the bread? To dip into the pig fat that was dripping into the pan.

A few years ago my half-sister graduated high school and they did a lamb (or a goat as my southern aunt called it). My uncle picked the damn kidney off of it and ate it.

God bless them.

Buying a keg? At least 10 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted