1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When was the last time you blew deadline, and why?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norman Stansfield, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

My last time was March, 2004.

I was stringing Pittsburgh-Central Florida for a large metro daily. UCF had the late game. I got my story done with a little time to spare, went to send it and my Dell took a huge shit. Wasted 10 minutes getting it going again, all the while praying it didn't eat my story in Word.

Eventually got it in, but needless to say they weren't happy.

Anyone else?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

It's bad luck to talk about missing deadline.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I was knocking on wood while typing. And I ain't superstitious.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

with a story ... not going to say by jinxing myself. On desk, hell nobody at our shop makes deadline

5. I have been working in this business for 4-5 years and I have never heard any reference to speaking of missing deadline being bad luck. What the heck?! Who made up this stupid superstition?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Deadline" is a fuzzy concept at my place (I've heard anywhere between 11:15 p.m. and 1 a.m., depending on what's happening), but I was late as hell once because the compu-goober had set memory quotas on everyone's computer; I, being the primary desker, had used mine up before everyone else; and said compu-goober could not be reached by phone to fix it. This was right in the middle of football tab, to boot.

It got fixed the next day, trust me.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was getting ready to send a story from a night college basketball game on my TRS-80 when it burped and fizzled and went black.

After shaking, pounding and tinkering with it a while it came back on but everything on it (which wasn't much with a TRS-80) was gone.

Ended up having to dictate off the top of my head to angry deskers and missed the edition it should have gone in.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What's a deadline?

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Deskers will excuse themselves from this thread, I suspect.

Bad luck to talk about deadlines, anyway ... you're just tempting The Deadline Gods.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Hello, my name is Deadline.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

To paraphrase an old joke, "No, dude, my dog's name is Deadline."

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

When was the last time you blew deadline ...

Right now

and why?

SportsJournalists.com

Draft saved Draft deleted