1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When USC loses to UCLA, who should face Ohio State: Florida or Michigan?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by daemon, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Actually, no. What have Boise State done to show they're legit? They got a chance at a bigtime program and got crushed. If they show something better this year, people might feel differently in the future. I see a good team for their level and a team worthy of being in the top 25, but I don't see one of the top 10 teams in the country. Who are these teams lacking "the balls" to play them? I've seen no evidence of that - Texas was complaining about having a boring bowl game because they felt they'd kill them, not because they were scared of them. No argument at all on ND, though.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Then, why, in 1993, was the same argument not applied to assume Notre Dame > Florida State?

3. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Sorry Rufino, but Florida doesn't deserve to go. If there is such a thing as an underwhelming 11-1 team, it is Florida.

A one point victory over Tennessee, a seven point victory over UGA, a six point victory over Vandy and a seven point victory over FSU won't cut it.

Yes, the Gators have found ways to win but with the BCS it is all about the style points and UF is the most unstylish 11-1 team out there.

I would love to see Florida's defense go up against Ohio State's offense but that will only happen on an XBox or PlayStation.

4. I'd say it's a moot point since USC is able to beat UCLA after they demolished ND. Then again, I was wrong about the ND game, so I hope I'm wrong about this one too.

At any rate, I'd say Florida should go if they lose, because if Michigan goes that would be basically saying that the Mich-OSU game was meaningless. That would be putting OSU in a bad position just for winning. The loser of the first game has the advantage in rematches. Then if Michigan is 1-1 vs OSU with a small victory margin, how can you say they are better?

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I agree fully they don't deserve to go over USC. They absolutely would deserve the spot if they win against Arkansas (which I'm not expecting, although it's doable) and USC inexplicably trips up. I defy any Michigan partisan to show what they've done that would make them more deserving than UF in that scenario. A LOSS to Ohio State and wins over ND and a Wisconsin team whose best win is 13-3 against Penn State don't trump UF's achievements. I don't care if they'd won every game 3-2.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

BTW, the next BCS team Boise State beats outside of the state of Idaho will be its first. There is no freaking way on God's green Earth that BSU is one of the nation's best 10 teams. They are in a BCS bowl because they earned it based on the system that is in place. That does not mean they deserve it. They are vulnerable -- and big-time -- anytime they play outside of Boise. Great teams do not need every second of the clock to win at San Jose State, nor do they play into the fourth quarter against Idaho. They are a middle-pack team -- and a bowl-eligible one -- in any conference in America. That's high praise for a WAC school. To say they belong in the title-game talk is a joke.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

With so much at stake for ND now, it should have played a tougher game last night at USC then it did months ago when it simply laid an egg. Comparative scores only say so much, they don't provide all the proper context.

Oh, and I would love to see Boise State take a BCS spot. While Utah did it years ago, it was too bad they got paired with a mediocre Pitt team as opposed to, say, unbeaten Auburn, where the Utes could have really made a huge statement.

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I don't think Boise State belongs in the title game, let me make that clear. The rules I am using for my argument are the rules of logic, which the BC$ defies. If a team has not lost a game, and is the only undefeated team in the country, it should deserve consideration as the national champion. The problem here is the whole idea that you can only be "considered" a national champion. There needs to be a playoff to "determine" who it actually is. There never has been a national champion in the truest sense of the word. And why we have this argument every year is baffling... but then again, it really isn't hard to figure out why that's the case. In the immortal words of Mark Mangino, "Dollar signs."

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Boise will most likely get the winner of Nebraska-Oklahoma, although the Rose Bowl SHOULD select them to play Michigan. That David-Goliath kind of game will get a lot more play than Michigan-LSU. I'm not mentioning Mich-ND here because I, as a fan, wouldn't acknowledge the Rose Bowl this year if that game were to happen.

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

So, as I was saying. . .

You've got to consider Florida, no?

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Consider, sure, but Florida needs to win first. Boise State ought to be considered too, given how no one from the BCS conferences seem dying to fill the second title game slot.

12. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Well, now that USC is going to the Rose ...

Draft saved Draft deleted