1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When turkey meat goes bad...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bucknutty, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

So per doctors orders, I now eat turkey meat instead of ground beef. Tons better for you, and the taste is virtually the same. Anyway...I was making tacos tonight, and I pulled out a pound of turkey I had frozen. It had completely changed color and was brown -- which I've thought was not good. I asked my roommate, who assured me it was alright. I cooked it, and it smelled a little funny but my roommate insisted it smelled fine. I tried real hard to make sure I wasn't psyching myself out or anything, but I took one bite and felt like it tasted, well bad. I tried to make myself eat one taco but could not do it, so I decided to throw it away. I've been to the can twice in less than an hour.

Did the meat go bad, or am I just paranoid? I'm kind of new to the whole freezing-turkey-in-the-freezer thing.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Sounds bad to me. My wife and I eat turkey meat now (ground turkey and turkey bacon) and neither "change colour" after being frozen.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Meat can definitely go bad. Freezer burn or whatever...it can and does go bad in the freezer.

If you're ever in doubt, throw it out.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Had turkey sausage over the weekend, often use turkey bacon when fixing breakfast, and I'm a big fan of the frozen turkey burger patties by Jennie-O and turkey dogs, but I struggle to use ground turkey as a ground beef substitute. Tried it once, just didn't do it for me.

As for the topic at hand, sounds like it went bad. Have fun on the throne tonight.

5. Pete Incaviglia

By the way, Bucknutty, I love how your roommate didn't offer to try one with you.

6. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

He's a standup guy like that, what can I say?

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

tuna tacos are much tastier.

8. ..blame the permissive society.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"Leaves of three, let 'em be. Leaves of four, eat some more."

10. Pete Incaviglia

Like, tuna out of a can?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, that's your first lesson -- when meat changes color. When it changes into many colors, that's bad too,

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted