1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Turkey invades Iraq, will Cheney attack in both directions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Oct 17, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

$88 dollars for a barrel of oil, a credit crisis in the US, falling home prices, a literal invasion of illegal aliens, slowly losing the grip on the Taliban/Al Queda in Afganistan, bogged down in the Iraqi quagmire, Putin making Condy his bitch. FUCK YOU President Cheney and your little dog, Bush.

By SUZAN FRASER, Associated Press Writer 58 minutes ago

ANKARA, Turkey - Parliament on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a possible cross-border offensive against Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq, although the government appears willing to give diplomatic pressure on the U.S.-backed Iraqi administration more time to work.

Lawmakers voted 507-19 in favor of empowering the government to order the military to cross into Iraq during a one-year period, Parliament Speaker Koksal Toptan said. They then burst into applause.

Turkish leaders have stressed that an offensive against the rebels of the Kurdistan Workers' Party, or PKK, would not immediately follow the expected authorization.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why is it that people who are bothered by "illegal aliens" (all of whom say they don't have any problem with Mexicans or whatever they just need to follow the law) are also against granting them amnesty, thereby making them legal?

3. heyabbott

Personally, I love most illegal aliens, I prefer them to some of our indigenous populace ;), and you know who you are ;).
    But most of the actual citizens of this country would appreciate the federal government performing their primary obligation of securing the borders. And most of the citizens of this Democratic Republic would prefer their tax dollars spent on the citizens of this country.

As far as amnesty, why should people who knowingly do wrong be rewarded and given preference over those who did not?

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We'll be storming the heights at Gallipoli in no time! We're kicking ass!

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I guess the argument is we should deport them all because they're illegal.

But it's impossible to get rid of all them, so what do we about that reality? Shouldn't we do something to make the best out of a bad situation?

We don't do anything. They're illegal. Get rid of them.

But you can't get rid of them all. And as much as we hate to admit it, they're a key part of the economy in certain parts of the country.

They're illegal. Get rid of them.

...and around and around we go. That's why there's been no solution to this problem.

Getting back to the thread:
    Fortunately, the Kurds don't have backers the same way Sunnis (Saudi Arabia) or Shiites (Iran) have. So there's a chance it won't get past a regional conflict.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The primary obligation of the federal government is to secure the borders? So we should elect a stonemason for president maybe?

Also, if you allowed your "illegal aliens" to become citizens, your problem is solved. Simple, really.

7. heyabbott

Great, the only part of Iraq that actualy has beenfited and thrived on the US invasion is about to be over run by a NATO ally.
    Cheney is the worst person in the history of the United States.

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

See, you've lost me. Securing the borders is one thing. And I have absolutely no problem with that.

But what does that have to do with the 15-20 million that are already in this country? And that have been here for 5-10-15 years? You can't deport them all. You just can't. It's not realistic. So what do you do about it?

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Remember the Alamo! Oops...wrong thread.

10. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

To get back to your original post, I admit that I don't know much about the situation. I read the NY Times story on it and it seems like an attack isn't imminent.

Just another example of us getting caught in the middle and spread to thin to do anything about it. Turkey is a muslim nation, but a "friendly" nation to the US. We can't do anything to piss them off.

Why are the Kurds stirring up shit there in the first place? That's an honest question.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you had a job waiting for you in Canada making $500,000 a year, the bureaucrats wouldn't approve a work visa for you but you could still do it under the table, you'd be there yesterday.

12. heyabbott

I don't know what to do to solve the whole illegal immigrant problem. I appreciate the work and family ethic that many of them show. I appreciate that they want to bring their children to this country for a better life. I don't appreciate the revolving door immigration policy that deports some on Tuesday and sees them again on Saturday.
    You can't deport them all, but you can deport everyone that commits a crime and their family. There's an incentive to be good and well behaved.

Draft saved Draft deleted