1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to stop payment on a check

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 10, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

I write a check for my rent, one for my car payment and (sadly) one for support to the ex-wife (which I could do by electronic transfer but I like to make her have to go cash a check).

Everything else -- utils, cell, cable, credit cards, etc. -- is done online

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You can leave as little as $20 on it and have it set up to automatically withdraw from your checking account or credit card. Really, it's not a big deal.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I currently have $3.17 in my checking account and I have no savings. And $4 in cash. So yes, it is that big of a deal. :(

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

As of today, I checked my checking account and apparently, the bank that has my car loan still hasn't received the check.
    When I called that bank last week, they said they'd send me the paperwork to set up the automatic transfer. Curiously, I have yet to receive that paperwork.
    That should help me in the future, but is it safe to assume at this point that the check I mailed two weeks ago will never make it where it was supposed to go?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I had a Paypal account hacked once, that did it for me with online bill payments. I'll pay check-by-phone when I can, put whatever automatically on credit cards when possible (nice to get hotel points for utilities) and everything else gets checks in envelopes. I'll be that way 'til they pry my checkbook from my cold, dead hands.

Draft saved Draft deleted