1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to stop payment on a check

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 10, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Man, if you think SP is a luddite for writing checks, you ain't seen nothing. If I have to put a payment in the mail, I buy a money order. Otherwise, I live a cash existence. If I write checks, they bounce. This is enlightened self interest, because I can't recall ever getting my bank account to balance. So I have direct deposit, I take out enough cash to cover my bills, and the ones I can pay in person, I pay in person. The rest, money orders, or, if time is tight, western union quick collect. It's all a pain in the ass, sure, but overdraft fees are worse. Once all the bills are paid, I'll occasionally use the debit card, but mainly I use cash.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I still write checks for all my bills. Sometimes if it gets close to the due date I might pay a credit card bill online, but the rest of the bills - mortgage, monthly maintaince/association fee, utilities, phone, cellphone, car insurance, etc. - all get paid via check.
    Just pick two days a month write the checks, enter it all in Microsoft Money (never store the account number there), and mail it out. Piece of cake.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

But if you do online banking, you know exactly what you have every single day in your account.

And then you shouldn't have to worry about overdraft fees.

Or get a simple program like Quicken to keep track of things. (HC's the expert on that one.)

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I saw a woman write a check for $6.37 yesterday at the snack counter at Costco. There was a huge line and she was scrambling around for a pen.

I write one check a month - my car payment. Everything else gets paid online. But otherwise, I use cash or credit cards. I feel like a broken record, but I won't use a debit card until banks immediately make people whole for losses because of stolen debit cards. I don't want to have to wait days to get my money restored.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure spnited does.

6. EStreetJoe

That's as bad as the people who use credit/debit cards at places without paypass and they have to wait to sign a charge slip for a $3 purchase.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Good point. I was behind a guy at a coffee place on Saturday who used his debit card for a $1 bottle of water. The paper in the machine needed to be changed and it was a whole ordeal...

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I use my debit card for EVERY-THING. I have to remember to take $20 out if I'm going to be driving on a toll road. I never have cash. I had $20 last week, and it felt weird just carrying it around.

9. EStreetJoe

Two words -- EZ Pass.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

(or use whatever your state/region's equivalent is... there's a full list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_toll_collection#United_States)

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ohio Turnpike's finally going to accept EZPass? About time.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There was a comedian -- I can't recall who, maybe it was Denis Leary -- who railed on these people. "When you're in the grocery store line and you know you're going to write a check, here's a tip so the people behind you won't kill you. Get the checkbook out. Sign the check. Date the check. Write out who it's to. Then all you have to do is write the amount. 'Kay?"

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Yes, EZPass helps sometimes. But I travel for my job. Doesn't work everywhere. And I'm not holding up cash in some fund that I'm only going to use on 2-3 road trips a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted