1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to start sending resumes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by True Son, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

look junior, don't fucking lecture me unless you want your god damned pants pulled down and spanked in front of everyone.

and if you think it's too late while you're still in school, you're way more ignorant than i ever would have guessed.

go to your next kegger, cop a buzz and cry your fucking eyes out to a pledge. but hold off on those tears for the rest of us who've spent years in this business and are having the rug pulled out from beneath us. you are not one of us. you are a god damned college kid with options.

also, try thinking with your head and not your ass when you come to this board and act as though you might have been even a decent journalist if given a fighting chance.

december? jesus fucking christ. get a clue, kid.

2. tools,

I'm 22 years old and have been in newspapers for unbelievably a long time now -- more than seven years.

Go online. Go PR. Work for a professional team. Any kind of dot com.

Some newspapers still have it, but the top-dog jobs are going to be taken by the top dogs for a long time. There are very few worth taking shots with now. There are ways you can still get your dream job, just different avenues of doing it.

3. I don't exactly know what you expect me to do, buddy. Spending a few more years here to get another degree is just not an option. I don't have the money for it and neither do my parents - and I've already got enough loans piled up to last me a lifetime.

And even if it were an option, I'm still not sure I'd do it. I'm not crying here, just accepting the fact that things aren't so great in the biz. Dumb as it may be, I still want in.

I asked for advice, not a lecture. I get that you're bitter, but don't take it out on me.

4. Thanks for a constructive reply, pressbox. The more I think about it, the more the gig at the dot-com seems like the best way to go for me. More stability, more freedom and they're damn popular right now. And this one actually has some credibility.

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Pressbox gave some good advice. Any website will really give you a great opportunity to get started for whatever long-term goal you have. The website doesn't necessarily have to be for a newspaper, but maybe writing for a particular sport, team, etc. Public relations isn't out of reach, too. Try getting an internship with a local sports team and try interning with the public relations department.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bitter? yeah, maybe just a bit.

overwhelmed by stupidity? absolutely.

7. Thanks, Kevin. Branching out my search to those areas won't hurt. And my minor's in business, so there's that. I just know sports is what I want to do. If it's not specifically sports journalism, then I want the next best thing.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

If you cut the kid some slack, you can pull my pants down and spank me.

9. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Mods, do you think you could re-sticky the questions for upcoming grads thread? It was a helpful resource, but I understand if you want to wait until the traditional graduation season.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you for your understanding.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A tutorial on the search function would be more helpful.

12. JLaff

JLaff Guest

I know how to use the search function, I just figured it would be better than having 2-3 threads from college students. But hey, whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted