1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to start sending resumes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by True Son, Sep 19, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you don't have something better to offer, move along. I get sick of this answer on every thread started by a young'un trying to break in and looking for our advice. The doom and gloom is obvious everywhere else on this board, you can post there.

Resumes are important, but include clips and keep sending new ones every few months. If you're lucky, you'll find an editor who takes an interest and will follow your development.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bullshit, through. you're in this business. you know its impending fate.

why don't you just tell the kid to be a journo and a firewalker?

i'm not trying to pick a fight, but i'd sure rather have someone be honest with me than lie.

3. playthrough

Sure, but True Son isn't going to get anything from those posts. They're cheap and tend to lure more of the same. I'm all for honesty, if you think the guy shouldn't waste a cent on postage for resumes and needs to explore other alternatives, be my guest and explain. But he's graduating in May -- probably a little late for that change of major.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

through - i don't think it's too late to use the degree and find a job in another field that isn't dying ... or at least think of grad school.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry Playthrough. But while my post may have been filled with snark, Tom gets to the bottom line of it: It's NOT too late to look for something else or think of grad school.

I just cannot recommend this field to anybody. Ever. The only advice I can give is to get out before you get in, b/c you can't get your heart broken if you never get in.

6. playthrough

Fair enough. Just say so. Obviously some j-school grads will get hired by papers, but the collective mindset of many hoping for a newspaper job clearly needs adjustment. I hope guidance offices are helping prospective grads find other avenues to sell their skills.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree completely.

Sorry for the snark.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No matter how newspapers evolve, there is still a market for writers and editors. But True Son is coming into the business at an uncertain time.

Broaden your skills as much as you can and good luck.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

here's the reason for my snark, through: all too often i've run into kids who say "well, i don't care what the state of the business is. i'm going to jump in with both feet and end up at the LA Times because i'm that fucking good. i don't care where the chips fall, because i have something to prove."

two years later, i talk with these kids and they wish to god they hadn't wasted 730 days of their lives. IRL i've begged and pleaded with some of these cats not to jump aboard, yet they still go on to waste portions of their lives that they'll never get back because they feel drawn to this field.

i don't claim to be an SE at the largest paper in the country, but at least i was able to keep my family in a nice house, in nice clothes and driving nice cars while my wife took four years off to raise our kids. somehow i doubt too many kids graduating from mizzou could hope to do the same 10 years from now.

i'm not being flippant when i throw down some snark at a recent grad, i'm being serious. obviously the rational approach doesn't work with these guys.

again, the last thing i'm trying to do is pick a fight with you. you're a solid mod, and i respect that. but i also don't think anyone here wants any kid to climb aboard this sinking ship we call journalism.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That should get us through the end of October.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just. So. Fucking. Solid.

Listen to this man, younglings. He's not wrong.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The way the environment is in this business, it does no good for us to sugarcoat things and pretend nothing's wrong. Sometimes the best advice is to get out while the getting's good.

I wish I could say I see a light at the end of the tunnel that isn't a megatrain driven by the likes of Lean Dean Singleton. Sadly, I don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted