1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to start sending resumes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by True Son, Sep 19, 2008.

1. True Son

True Son New Member

I'm a journalism student and will be graduating in May. When is an appropriate time to start sending out resumes? And what method would you recommend for who you send them to? As many places as possible whether they list an opening or not? Only places with openings? Etc...

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Now would be a good time.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

This used to be stickied at the top of the page, though I guess it was unstickied once graduation season passed. In any event, there's some useful information in it.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/54622/

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Yesterday.

I took a while to send out resumes. Don't make that mistake (among others).

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

At least as far as the time frame is concerned, this is the correct answer about beginning the job search effort. You should have started yesterday.

But is sending out resumes the right answer? What do you even have on a resume at this point? I dunno.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Build contacts right now. Talk with editors where you are interning for advice. It won't hurt sending out resumes, but don't expect to hear anything back until March.

7. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

Make contacts. Don't worry so much about applying places yet. Talk to the local editor, talk to the nearest metro editor, hang out at bars and talk to the writers.

Use their expertise.

As for applying for an opening in December if you don't graduate until May - chances are they want someone right now and you won't be contacted. Just remember that. I'm not saying don;t apply, just don't get discouraged if you don't hear back.

Hell I started my job search a year ago (graduated in August) and I'm still unemployed

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Never.

Change your major and do something else.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Chances are, you'll be able to meet with or talk on the phone with an editor-type at a paper you would like to work at. They are so tired of cutting staff and reconfiguring their work force that meeting with young journalists is about the best part of their job right now.
    You won't be able to get a job at a paper you want to work at, but the editor-type you talk with probably knows someone at a paper a few notches down the ladder who will give you a chance if you'll work for peanuts and bust your ass. Do well at the scrub paper and you can use the contact that got you to the scrub paper to get you a better deal after you've proven yourself.

10. 15-20 years ago.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd wait two or three more rounds of layoffs.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow. solid. as. hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted