1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to go to two pages on a resume

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jul 13, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No shit. It's the best there is on Linux but the interface needs some work and as yet the dev team hasn't reverse-engineered the plug-in interfaces used by Quark and InDesign.

@dixiehack: No helmet law in this state.

2. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I want to see one page plus a cover letter.

I only care about your last three relevant jobs, at most. I don't want a half page of highlights for any job. Tell me what you did that will help me.

I want three references, no more, no less. There is about a 50 percent chance I will call as many as two of them because I'm much more likely to do some homework and find people in your area I know that will tell me more about you and point me in the direction of more people that know your work.

I don't care if you graduated from college, but I don't want to be left guessing on it either.

I want your address, your phone number and your email.

If we have not spoken about a job opening or there is not one officially posted, don't expect any acknowledgement I received your resume. I get a lot of them and I have work to do. Call if you like, if you can get my number. I actually hold people who can get my number without asking me in higher esteem, but maybe I'm weird that way. But I'm a heck of a lot more likely to remember who you are if you hunted me down than I am if you were just one of the dozens of resumes I got for a job.

Very many variations from this theme tend to find File 13.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This would be a problem for me in about 10 years if newspapers were still around.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Always one page. They want to know more, you can tell them, and that's good news that they want to know. But it's too easy to lose one of two. It just is. Just keep boiling it down.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My god, I've been doing this for 10 years and I struggle to fill one page.

what the hell?

6. pallister

pallister Guest

You're not a career vagabond like some of us. The more jobs, the longer your resume can get.

7. imjustagirl

A fine point. So with only two jobs, should I make each entry like five inches long? Or just have a short resume and look like a failure?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Big font.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Considering the step up you took a few years ago, your resume can both be short and not look like a failure.

10. imjustagirl

OK, I just find myself overtalking about my jobs and responsibilities. Because between two jobs, one line for education and one line for computer skills...I can literally be done in a half-page.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Just talk about your childhood, your hobbies and likes and dislikes. You'll fill that half a page in a heartbeat.

12. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Don't forget turn ons and turn offs.

Draft saved Draft deleted