1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When to call lying sources out.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hammer Pants, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Never knew that, bbomber. Will check on that.

Thanks for the answers, friends. Like I said, this didn't happen to me, but I feared that my hypothetical guess as to what I would do in a similar situation was harsh.

Personally ... I don't trust any of them. Even when a few of them tell me the same thing, I am skeptical. Guess that's why I do this for a living. Well ... that, and I'm not a morning person.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd have taken the college Republican and strung him up by the balls... but that's just me.

Orville, that sounds like the plot of a pretty good movie. :)

Otherwise, the standard "two sources" rule should apply. When in doubt, however, keep verifying.

3. roxraidersfan

roxraidersfan Member

I have a question regarding this topic in a vaguely, its sort of in the ballpark, similar way. We do legion game previews and one coach keeps giving me the wrong starter for an upcoming big game. It's become a running joke around the paper, the league, etc., etc., etc., about how bad this guy is. This guy thinks he's being coy in keeping the opposition off balance, but he's really being a dumbass and I feel like I'm being taken along for the ride of guilt by association. I'm not trying to put out misinfo but I'm left with what this coach gives me. Am I being to sensitive? Or am I right to be red faced and pissed?

Signed "What to do in the Lou?"

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why would you even consider running who the coach says will start anymore?

And you really should be old enough by now to figure out what to do in the loo.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lou-ser

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This is serious stuff. Listing the wrong pitching matchups can have major effects on the Vegas betting line.

::) ::) ::) ::)

Seriously, I would call up the Legion's regional director (whoever is in charge of the baseball program) and talk to him about it.

Tell him, as gently and diplomatically as possible, "Legion ball is offseason practice for high school baseball. You damn well ought to be grateful as hell for every single sentence of page space and ink we spend on Legion baseball, and if we're just gonna get fed complete crapola by your coaches, we ain't too sure about how much space and ink we ought to devote to it any more, if any. If Coach Buzzcut doesn't want to tell us who's starting, fine. Frankly, we don't care -- we'll just write around it. But don't fuckin' lie."

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

If you run it, and I wouldn't, make sure you attribute it to him. And maybe add something like -- but Coach Loser is known for making a game-time change to his starter. (worded in a less incompetent way mind you. it's been a long day.)

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I would, for a couple weeks, point that out in every gamer. And ask him why he switched. Was the guy hurt? Suspended? Maybe ask Coach B, gosh, were you surprised that Coach A switched his starter? If Coach B comes back with, No, that jerk's pulled this crap before, you're home free.

If parents become aware of this horsecrap going on, well, you point them in the right direction. It oftentimes corrects itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted