1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Tiger(s) Attack

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Dec 25, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but shouldn't the idiots running the zoo who let this happen have died then as well?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If these were kids who were too young to know better I might agree. But we're talking about adults here. If you're enough of an asshole to go to a zoo and climb over a fence you fucking know you shouldn't climb over, you deserve to get eaten.

If it's proved that the tiger got out because he was able to leap up, grab hold of the guy he ate and pull himself over the wall, the zoo should sue the survivors for causing the death of the tiger.

3. outofplace

Let's see...human beings....tiger...human beings...tiger...duh

This animal should not have been on display after attacking a handler. Don't want to destroy it? Fine. But no way you take the smallest chance that something like this happens.

And yes, you do have to idiot proof an enclosure for dangerous animals at the zoo. If the zoo isn't taking into account potential acts of stupidity by the paying public, the people in charge are kidding themselves....or just don't give a shit.

4. Armchair_QB

So barriers, moats and signs that specifically tell you not to climb said barriers aren't enough?

If you aren't smart enough to heed the warning we don't need you around polluting the gene pool anyway.

5. outofplace

Tell that to the two other people who were mauled. Or everybody else that was endangered when that "beautiful animal" was loose.

It is pure fucking luck that it wasn't some small child that got eaten. This animal already mauled a human being. No way the zoo shouldn't at least take some of the blame here, if not all. None.

6. Armchair_QB

It appears the victim and the two maulees were screwing with the tiger, which led to its escape. I don't have a whole lot of pity for them if that turns out to be true.

While the zoo admin certainly needs to re-examine its enclosures they are not responsible for the stupidity of the idiots who climbed a fence they should not have climbed in the first place.

If the victims were simply in the wrong place the wrong time and the tiger got loose as result of direct negligence on the part of the zoo that changes things. But that doesn't appear to be the case at this point.

7. outofplace

Again, any enclosure that some idiot can get into and let a dangerous animal loose is proof of negligence by the zoo. And if the three victims were all being stupid, it is still blind luck that nobody else was maimed or killed.

My 4-year-old loves the zoo. No way in hell I would ever let her near a place where something like this happened.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Latest report I read speculated the victims might have put a board across the moat or something that allowed easier escape.

If that's the true, the zoo is more at fault for not monitoring its dipshit patrons more so than any negligence for the design of its enclosures.

And OoP, c'mon. At EVERY zoo I've ever been to, I wouldn't take THAT much to get into an enclosure if you were bound and determined. Don't try to sell that unsafe enclosure argument, these victims were baiting a dangerous animal.

And as far as that tiger "mauling" someone earlier, that tiger gauged a zookeeper's arm in its cage when it was being fed. Everything I read said that it's normal behavior for a tiger to do that under certain circumstances (the inference I read into it was that the zookeeper might have not been on the ball). So by that logic, let's go around blasting away all the tigers in every zoo.

By the way, I'm not trying to say it's tragic the tiger died, if it got loose, you have to kill it.

9. Armchair_QB

Unless, of course, you have a crisis plan in place that allows for darting it and knocking it out if you can get to it in time. Most zoos have some sort of plan like that.

In this case though they had no choice but to shoot.

10. outofplace

We don't really know what happened yet, and at least some information seems to be coming from zoo officials looking to cover their own asses. It's one thing for some idiot to get in. It's another completely for them to be able to let the tiger out.

I never said the tiger had to be put down after mauling the attendant. I said it shouldn't have been on display.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There's got be video somewhere, whether taken by zoo surveillance cameras or various onlookers, right? When are we going to see that? I'm not trying to get some thrill out of seeing someone killed by a tiger or anything, but I'd like to see what the victims' behavior was like and how the animal escaped. There's got to be video. Nothing goes unrecorded these days.

Hell, there's video of feces escaping two girls' bowels and landing in a cup, isn't there?

12. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Most zoos aren't particularly well surveilled. This incident could add a new expense for zoos.

More great videos of crap-throwing monkeys and orangs would be one result.

Draft saved Draft deleted