1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the SID doesn't call you back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Dec 18, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That's silly, petty and small-minded.

"Work with coaches, not for them" is something that has been lost amid the power-hungry as salaries and supposed authority over all athletic domain continues to grow.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I see these horror stories and I realize how good I have it with the school I cover.

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

And I realize how good I've had it over the years, working with some pretty good head coaches. The few bad ones that I've had, I have pretty much refused to drink the kool-aid and "work for them" because I've also had a pretty good string of AD's.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It would also be against the rules of most every major conference, I'd reckon.

5. This is totally bizarre as they are easily available elsewhere...

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If you are covering the BCS national championship game, here is some friendly, hard-earned advice: Have a backup plan ready for everything, and I mean everything, you ask LSU's SID to help you with. If you can, just go around him.

Thank me later.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Got it taken care of. Called the assistant at home. Chatted for 10 minutes. It's all good.

8. King, just out of curiosity, was showing up after a practice and just waiting the guy out an impossibility? I once covered a BCS school with a sometimes unreliable SID staff from 90 minutes away. Whenever I really wanted somebody, I drove up there and got them in person. I figured the time in the car offset the time waiting by the telephone, and the face time didn't hurt.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I live about 6 hours away from this school. :)

Not sure they would have OK'd a company car for that trip. ;D

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I get annoyed sometimes by a media member who just assumes that if they drop you an email, that it will be no problem to get something done. This happens a lot with radio guys wanting to set up an interview. They don't leave a cell number, aren't at the station when you call back and weren't very clear as to when they want to do the interview.

A two-minute call works better sometimes for me. Besides, I think the idea of communicating without actually talking has gotten out of hand. How can you build a working relationship with somebody if all you do is trade emails?

11. silentbob

silentbob Member

You're assuming that most SIDs take calls.

At a lot of the schools I work with, they might pick up 50 percent of the time. The other 50, I leave messages, about half of which are returned.

I always start with email as a head's up. If they respond, great.

If not, I'll be calling soon.

The more they ignore me, the bigger the pest I become, which I dont enjoy, but what else can you do?

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Co-sign. My school treats me so well it also goes out of its way to make sure I'm well taken care of on the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted