1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the SID doesn't call you back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Dec 18, 2007.

1. The head coach trains the SIDs to train th eteams not to take phone calls from the media unless it's OKed by the SID, acting as a proxy for the head coach, first.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

If the SID is not doing their job and getting back in touch with you, don't wait for them. You tried to go by their rules, and they didn't follow through. That's on them, not you.

I say this as an SID (and former reporter).

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

If you haven't already, e-mail the SID. If that fails, call the football office and ask to speak to the assistant.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That's kind of what I thought.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

you call enough people, you'll get a phone call back.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm of this mindset. I see too many reporter making one phone call and then waiting days to get a return call. You're a reporter. You're a pest. Pester people, dammit.

If I had a week to do a story on the assistant, I might wait a day and if I don't hear back from the SID (especially in the week before Christmas when he may be on vacation if school is out for all you know, especially with a bowl trip coming up), I'd start calling, emailing everyone in the football office.

7. Mira

Mira Member

Call the athletic director's assistant and explain the assistant coach isn't calling you back. I'll bet my bottom dollar that she/he will immediately blabber to the AD, it will get back to the assistant coach and your phone will be ringing.

8. housejd

housejd Member

I've called the guy at home a few times. So have a few of the reporters on my staff -- news and sports alike. Trying to convince the staff this guy is a source we should not be afraid to call. Most of the time, Sue Paterno picks up the phone (usually canning tomatoes). She generally won't let reporters through to Joe, but she's almost always polite.

We've done the same with assistant coaches and players, too -- especially since the sports information department can take months to grant an interview. When the SID calls to bitch, we simply reply "Sorry, your rules don't govern us." They can be upset, but they can't argue against that.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I almost always call the SID first, as a courtesy and as a way of saying, "Hey, I tried to go through you..."

But if the SID doesn't answer or call you back, and you need something in a hurry, you do what you have to do.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

Sorry, but an AD or assistant AD at a major school isn't going to give a shit. The way to go here is to keep hounding the SID and definitely call the football office.

Also, King Creole: Is there anyone at the school you cover who still keeps in touch with the coach and might be able to help you get in touch?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

king - did you call the SID or an assistant SID?

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Just curious, given the workload and number of interview requests you might have, do you have to triage them in some way, giving priority to some papers and reporters and having others take a number and get in line?
    If that's the way you do it, does it really have to be done that way?

Draft saved Draft deleted