1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the SID doesn't call you back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kingcreole, Dec 18, 2007.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

OK, I'm trying to do a story on an assistant coach at a BCS university that's getting ready for a bowl game. He used to be the head football coach at the school I cover. Nothing elaborate or anything, but just a story about this coach.

Anyhoo, I call the SID office and left a message. I've yet to hear back from anyone, and I would imagine this team is getting ready to leave for their bowl destination pretty soon. It's not a life-or-death story, but one I would like to do.

I know the SID is probably very busy with bigger fish to fry and hooking up a smaller daily with an assistant coach isn't high when ESPN and other major metros have to be taken care of.

I noticed on a Yahoo! person search there is only one person in this city with this particular name. If the SID doesn't call back and hook me up, is it kosher to go around the SID? It's not like I have to deal with this school very often - it's the first time actually. Normally, I wouldn't have a problem going around the SID, but with this being a major university, I thought I'd see what folks here think.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you can find his phone number on your own, call him. What have you got to lose?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Call his ass. Or can't you get the coach's email address or extension on the school website as well?

4. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Call the PR person for the bowl. Identify yourself as a reporter (as opposed to a crazed fan) and say you need to know what hotel the "Eagles" are staying in and what day they arrive. Then just call the hotel and ask for the guy's room.

And, yes, it is kosher to go around the SID. Why not?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure king is orthodox anyway.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Why do folks view SIDs as sacrosanct? Go around them, at will, if they are not living up to their end of things.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Go around the SID. When he or she demands to know why you went around them to get the coach, simply say that he or she didn't get back to you and you had a deadline to meet. Simple as that.

8. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i don't think i've ever gone through an SID for an assistant coach

most of them answer their phone or return calls on their own

call the football office, ask for the guy, and you might be surprised

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's not really that as much as the SIDs train the teams not to take phone calls from the media unless it's OK'd by the SID first.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Exactly... if his number is in the phone book, isn't it fair game?

11. No. Vince Dooley has had his number in the phone book for years and people respect the Athens rule: Give them their peace and quiet. Notice I said people, not sportswriters. ;-)

If your number is in the book does it mean you are fair game?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Joe Paterno's number is in the phone book as well, but I can't think of anyone who ever has called him at home.

Draft saved Draft deleted