1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the photo doesn't match the story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, May 5, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Just saw an layout where the main story is about Podunk High's baseball team blowing out a cross-town opponent to clinch the league with Podunk High pitcher having a huge game. Story is good, but the main photo shows a Podunk batter striking out?

It's not a "make my jaw drop" shot or anything...just a simple batter swinging through pic...you can't tell me there's not a basic shot of the pitcher or at least a shot of a Podunk highlight that would be a better fit.

2. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I used to always tell our photogs -- first thing, get standard (decent) shots of each starting pitcher. You never know. And if Conference Foe High hurler tosses a no-hitter, I'm using that, either as main art or as secondary, depending on what we'd have.

3. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

We did this recently. The headline was "Pitcher Perfect" and the secondary had something to do with the opposing pitcher threw two complete games (both wins) and a no-no against the home team. The photo? A shot of one of the two home pitchers. Nothing was confusing, per se, as the secondary headline had the opposing pitcher's name in it, but I just thought it was awkward.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When the photo doesn't match the story, the answer is simple. Just don't release it. [/ObamaAdministration]

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Happens to us all the time. Most of the time the photogs shoot 3 innings and leave, so they never have the climactic moments. First half of hoop, football, first period of a hockey game, whatever. Don't devote the time until the playoffs...just too short staffed. It makes the page look bad, most of the time, but the philosophy from above is "art is art." Deep sigh.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not alone in these frustrations. We've tried all sorts of things, including having photog go to the second half of games, shoot both teams, etc. Track and field seems to be the worst. Photog loves a shot of, say, the pole vault, while writer wants to focus on the sprints. And the poor desk editor is trying to assemble a halfway decent page while keeping World War III from breaking out in the newsroom.

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm speaking out of school here, but do others find most of the photogs to be, um, different kinds of individuals? In my time at newspapers, our staff probably had one photog who wasn't a bit, well, um, "off".

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Like a casket?

9. 93Devil

I was hoping this to be about wild art running next to the "wrong" headline.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Like this?

[​IMG]

But as for the thread, yeah, I hate it, but there's really not much you can do about it. Rarely do the photos match the thrust of the game story.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Oh for fuck's sake. Was it really absolutely necessary to pollute a shop-talk thread with a cheap political jab?

12. 93Devil

That's what I'm talking about!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted