1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the official score is wrong

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smash Williams, Dec 19, 2009.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Reminds me of a high school baseball game I covered where the home team got one hit according to the home scorebook and no hits according to the visiting book. The home book is official, so it wasn't a no-hitter, but the visitors all celebrated and treated it as if it was a no-hitter.

Actually turned out to be a better story with the discrepency.

Sidenote: Randy Wolf pitched the "no-hitter."

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My side gig is as a scoreboard operator for varsity and junior varsity basketball games, and I also do book for middle school games. The place I work for pays an ex-ref to do the book, and myself and the shot clock operator have been doing it for about 10 years now, so we're pretty consistent.

But, we have four seats at the table, and the fourth is for the visiting scorekeeper, which is normally a parent or a junior varsity player. This is almost always a shitshow, as half the time they aren't paying attention or just watching their own team, or best of all, cheering from the table. The only thing more distorted normally is when JV players keep the stats for varsity games. One time, they had a PF and C combo for a girls' game with 52 rebounds - 30 for one girl, 22 for another. Every time a player touched a ball off the rim, they counted it as a rebound.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I saw a D-III women's soccer goalie averaging 25-30 saves per game.

I guess every touch was a save. The sad thing was, the SID reported those stats to the league for the end of the season awards.

4. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Back in my youthful days when I kept scorebooks, the two scorekeepers always sat next to each other and made sure the numbers matched. And neither one of the books left the table after the game until they were totaled.

Drives me nuts now to see these four-seat tables, with one scorekeeper at one end next to the team bench and the other at the other end. And to see kids just close up the book at the end of the game and not add things up.

Draft saved Draft deleted