1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the news becomes too much for me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lieslntx, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

So, there was this Montgomery County plagiarism thing going on. And it hit really close to home for me. For a number of reasons.

I was out of town. And I knew about it before the story really broke because of SportsJournalists.com. So, while I'm out of town, my mom texts me that the story is in the Chronicle. After spending my day working, I go on line to look at the story. But, I can't find the story. There is too much other tragic stuff going on at home for the story to be a top priority. And by stuff, I mean the kind of news that just breaks my heart. A small child drowning in my home county. Finding out that the bus wreck in Sherman originated in Houston. Not to mention all the other tragic stories that I saw headlines for.

This means that I will know someone personally affected by both of these stories. Which means I will get phone calls. Or texts. And then it hits me. This thing that hits me every six months or so.

When I can't handle the reality of the tragedies that surround me. Because these stories affect me. They make me cry. They hurt me. And I reach a point that I can no longer listen to or read about them.

So I do the only thing I know to do. I call AlleyAllen. Because he is my rock. He keeps me grounded. It's what we do for each other. I tell him my problem. And he knows this about me already. How I take these things personally.

And he has me make a promise to him. A promise to NOT listen to any news for two weeks. I am only allowed to listen to/and or read sports news. (He knows that sports cheers me up.)

He tells me, go to Yahoo sports, if you have to. But to only read about sports. For two weeks.

So I try. Really, I do. Nothing but sports.

But, as I'm watching sports, there comes the news. When I least expect it. As I walk away from the television during a commercial break, to take a potty break. There is it. A child died today in Houston. While they were left in a car for hours.

And at this point, it really does become too much for me. I take these stories personally. It's why I prefer to receive my news via print. Because I can pick and choose what I read.

So, here I am. Not being able to stand the tragedies of the news. The reality of it all hurts my heart. Really, it does.

That's my story. Most days, the tragedy of the news is too much for me. That's me.

And for whatever reason, I felt the need to share that with you all.

PS. I never did get to read what the Chronicle wrote about the plagiarism story in Montgomery County.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear things are rough for you, Leisl. They're not sports, but these help pick me up when I'm in a down mood:

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Liesl, things will get better. I wish i could offer more help and advice, especially after you have helped me through so much recently.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Liesl, hang in there. Stories like the child left in the car are enraging, no matter where it happens.

You're aware that this stuff disturbs you, so continuing to self-monitor should help. My stepfather doesn't always handle this stuff well - for reasons a little different from you - yet he's tuned into CNN consistently. I've urged him to stop and either watch other things or turn the TV off. One of these days, I hope he understands that I'm an adult and I say what I do because I care, not just because I need to have something to say.

Use AA. And know that we're here for you.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Almost glad to know I'm not the only one feeling the crushing weight of the world right now. I keep telling myself things'll look up. They always do.

I'll add this one to the mix. It never fails to make me tear up, but in a good way. It reminds me that sometimes, every now and then, the world really is a good place after all.

(Just the event itself)
    (With explanation)

6. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Yeah, and all it takes is a national tragedy. There really are a lot of things that reminds us the world a good place after all. But how in the hell does a reminder of 9/11 make you feel better? I know that the gesture by the British is a good gesture, but the last thing I want to see when I'm down is people mourning.

7. Boognish

Boognish Member

Never seen any of those, and I'll be damned if I don't feel good. Nice work.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Because it's not a reminder of 9/11, per se. It is, but it's also a reminder of a time when the world seemed somehow united. I dunno. It's probably looking at it through rose-colored glasses, but it makes me feel like we're not alone in the world, best efforts of those in charge notwithstanding.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm a helper. I help. It's what I do. :)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

11. I had the same thing hit me earlier today when I read Cnn.com's story on the Duncan slaying - the fucker in Idaho who killed half a family, stole two kids, kept them for weeks, sexually abusing them (SOB videotaped it and made the other watch) and then killed the little boy in front of his sister.
    It makes me so angry and sad. God Damn it bothers me.
    I can't imagine anyone - especially a child - having to endure that.
    I hope the guy gets the death penalty and suffers!
    But Jesus, it is hard to read. I usually don't read these stories, because they bother me so, but this one I sort of stumbled on this one. I stopped 2/3 through cause I couldn't take anymore.
    I'm a firm believer in the death penalty and I hope this bastard gets his - in spades!

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lies, these things make me happier. Hope they do the same for you ...

Makes me smile every single time ...

My hero growing up; growing up in L.A. in the '80s was a Magical time ...

Edmonton 5, Kings 0 going into the 3rd period. The rest was a "miracle" I'll never forget ...

Kang and Kodos do it to me every single time ...

Kramer has never been better ...

"Girl, look what you've done to me ... "

"Can't do a little cuz you can't get enough ..."

Yes, I watched this show ...

Neil at his best ...

One of the seminal days of the 80s (I remember exactly where I was) ...

"Did I ever tell you about my Uncle Charlie?"

The greatest 100 seconds in TV history ...

Draft saved Draft deleted