1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When the editor messes up...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Oct 1, 2008.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

self-deprecating is a big word?!?

In the immortal words of John Belushi -- "seven years of college wasted..."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It is in daytona, dan.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

self-defacating, that's a pretty big blunder no matter how many times the editor has fixed your oopses.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Ask the editor to write a column taking credit for the famous gaffe or ask the editor if you can write a column giving him all the credit.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

....it's a day that ends in "y."

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I believe he's not in Daytona and hasn't been in a while.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

No, there's nothing you can do. But how does anyone make a mistake like this unintentionally? It's not as though someone was trying to correct one letter in a typo. And the keys involved hardly are close to one another. I lean toward this not being an innocent error.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Have sex with his wife.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Sometimes spellcheck does weird things. An editor once spell-checked my story (or maybe just did it on his own) and milquetoast became "milk toast." Often copy editors catch mistakes. Sometimes they insert them.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Some brainiac changed Charles Schulz to Charles "Schultz" in a huge take-out feature I once did. Nothing quite like reading 40 inches of shit and then having the guy who made me look like a monkey shrug his shoulders and say "mistakes happen." This is an asshole who once told me "I am the stylebook." I'd still love to punch him in the face for it, but on a deeper level somebody should just do it because he's a prick. </rant>

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Even worse, he misspelled defecating.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Have you used self-defecating in a story?

Draft saved Draft deleted