1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When stupid parents do stupid things

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Those British bastards, probably.

2. It's terrible, that's how bad. Felony child abuse doesn't even come close to describing the situation. You don't do this...period. This is indicative of the larger problem in youth sports, Wannbe parents too involved in this kind of shit.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

But, Dirk, he was getting hit by kids his size and all of a sudden gets blindsided by a person twice his size.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And more than twice his age....

5. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

While wearing full protective football gear. Pads, helmet, etc...

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It gets really wearisome when something like this happens and we see the knee-jerk response which places all youth sports under the same ugly umbrella.

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

One question: Why is the AP and other media still using the word 'allegedly' when describing the dude's actions? Why do I read sentences like "The coach allegedly rushed onto the field and knocked the player down"?

What is 'alleged' about it? It's on video.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The thing to do in this CYA society, dude... even though its on tape, God forbid people actually write in concrete terms before trial

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I once wrote a police brief about a guy who was arrested after I saw him boot in the driver's side door of my own car. When I turned the brief in, I was told very bluntly that I could not say the guy did it because the charge against him had not been proven in court. I had to rewrite it and say the guy "allegedly" did it, even though I had seen the incident with my own two eyes.

I was told that reporting it as I had seen it would prejudice the asshole's right to a fair trial. He must be considered innocent until proven guilty, hence the use of the "allegedly" qualifier. It does make sense, but I sure didn't like hearing it at the time.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Legal reasons, I'm guessing. It's likely termed "alleged" until he's convicted.

11. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

You never know. Somebody could fuck up during the investigation, trial, etc. and the tape could be thrown out as evidence.

Anyway, had the guy just taught his kid to bust other players for late hits, he wouldn't have run out and do it himself. Shit, it's messed up but it's not like anyone got shanked.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah... the 300 eyewitnesses testimony wouldn't be worth a shit then....

Draft saved Draft deleted