1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When stupid parents do stupid things

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Sep 5, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Youth football game, kid on team A delivers a late hit on kid from Team B.
    Parent/coach from Team B runs out on the field and drills kid from Team A
    Parent/coach runs, turns self into police, faces charge of felony child abuse.

http://www.kare11.com/video/player.aspx?aid=33107&bw=

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Felony child abuse.

Oh well. There is no place for that.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Playing devil's advocate here, at least the guy turned himself in. ::)

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Child abuse? Shouldn't it just be an assault charge?

And, while I don't condone what the guy did by any stretch, he obviously realized pretty quickly that what he did was wrong and turned himself in. Shit, the kid had pads on, how bad could it be?

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

As opposed to holing up in a house with a shotgun, holding children hostage?

Yes, I suppose you are correct.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I rather err on the more severe side with it involving a child, period.

I don't want to blur the line for children's protections.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I hear ya. That's a fair point.

I just kind of think the thread title says it all. The guy did something stupid, something that I doubt had any real harmful effect on the kid. Let's not get nuts.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Absolutely with ya.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The guy can't control himself. His actions started a fight on the field. He leaped over a fence and turned himself in later -- after realizing that he would either have to face up to it or go on the lam.

So, yeah, the guys sounds like a sweetheart.

Anyway, everyone knows the way handle that is to order your biggest kid to cheap shot the little bastard the next play.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Locking your keys in the car is stupid. Talking shit about your boss behind is back is stupid. Forgetting your glove when you go to the company softball game is stupid.

Hitting a child in the course of a youth sporting event is not stupid. It is criminal.

He should have been able to control himself, regardless of the circumstance. Turning himself in shows that he is mentally capable of making rational decisions, so he had no excuse for his behavior.

12. Agree with Cadet. This is unconscionable. In reading the news accounts of the incident, the referee had already thrown the flag for the penalty before the coach ran out on the field. He deserves to do some jail time, just to send a message to the next idiot like him.

Draft saved Draft deleted