1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Speed Traps Go Wrong

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Florida considering dissolving a 500-resident town after an investigation into illegal ticketing uncovered financial malfeasance that would make a Louisiana mayor blush.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/os-hampton-speed-trap-town-20140222,0,1445373.story?page=1

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've been through this lovely burg several times, without incident, which probably puts me in the minority. Evidently, people that weren't at all affiliated with any law-enforcement agency were issuing tickets to drivers.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's the new New Rome, Ohio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Rome,_Ohio

Checking on Google maps, Hampton, Fla., was able to finagle its border so it stretched onto a small, narrow strip of 301, which got the speed-trap money flowing.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been ticketed in this lovely town. Let it burn.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, if we're going to shut down speed traps, I say we close the whole state of Wisconsin. At least for the summer.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Manitowoc and Rosendale. Two more cities that can burn...

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can't help but remember "The Dukes of Hazzard" when Rosco's speed trap would catch country stars who would then work off their fine by performing at the Boar's Nest.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Were they detaining athletes hoping to move the betting line?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

How much was a Roscoe Coltrane-issued speeding ticket? $25,000? Is that why Tammy Wynette would have to perform? And how come her manager wasn't there to write a check? Or she didn't sic her lawyers or them? Or George Jones? And $5 for a beer in 1979? That was a ripoff for Yankee Stadium, much less Hazzard County!

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

There are scores of little towns like that in the Carolinas. One to absolutely avoid is Sellers, SC. It's perfectly positioned on the way to the beach. They've got some Buford T. Justice wannabe who specializes in writing tickets. If he had to do any real police work he'd piss in his pants. And, yes, he got me once.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This whole stretch of road is notorious to Floridians, but I have never had the fortune of driving it. Waldo is the one I've heard of the most, and they'll stop you for going 1 mph over the limit.

http://visitingsmalltownflorida.com/2011/04/20/avoiding-small-town-florida-speed-traps/

In my Visiting Small-Town Florida, Third Edition (Pineapple Press 2011) Introduction I briefly mention three of Florida’s most notorious speed traps: Waldo, Starke, and Lawtey, all in a row along Highway 301 northeast of Gainesville. These three are so notorious that the American Automobile Association purchased billboards outside each town warning, “Speed Trap Ahead”.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

McIntosh, also. On Highway 441 about 20 miles southeast of Gainesville.

Draft saved Draft deleted