1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When should an owner put his personal wealth into a newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 7, 2012.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My favorite publisher told us that if you're "the rich boy's toy," you still need to make a profit. Because if you make money and he gets tired of owning a paper, he can sell it. But if the paper loses money and he gets tired of the paper, he either can't sell it and will fold it or will sell it to someone you're probably not going to like.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'd agree, in that he might make capital investments (new front-end system or a new press) with plans to "pay himself back" over a period of time, but operational budgets need to come out of cash flow or whatever reserves the business has built up.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Newspaper owners don't earn profits by paying employees a decent salary.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Broad brush you're wielding there. Did you get it at the hardware store?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Any newspaper chain or owner paying reporters less than $30K woud be covered under my brush.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Quit if you don't like it, as the compassionate conservatives are fond of saying.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Considering 90 percent of the small dailies and weeklies in this country start their reporters in the $23-$27K range, your brushin' arm is gonna be awfully tired, awfully quick.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Those owners sure are struggling.

Draft saved Draft deleted