1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When school lets out for summer, hunger begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Disturbing:

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There ain't no free lunch. Cut the moochers off.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's the damn teachers' fault. If they'd just volunteer for the summer and chip in for the A/C too, problem solved.

But they obviously don't care about the kids.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Once we get rid of tenure, all these problems will go away.

So don't worry your sweet little head about it.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Give the kids vouchers so they can choose their lunch.

Ship them to farms in the Midwest and west to replace the low skilled, low wage illegal aliens that we should march across the dessert back to Mexico. You don't have to pay the kids to pick crops, just call it an internship.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't forget to sell them if they ask for more.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Or we could just tell the parents to show some fucking responsibility for raising their kids.

Nah, can't have that…

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's interesting to me how these kinds of discussions conflate actual hunger (i.e., going without eating) with what's called "food insecurity." The latter only rarely involves the former. Not that I want to experience either one, mind you ...

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In your world, does telling someone to do something meet with 100 percent success?

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Actually, you're absolutely right. You can't have it every case. In millions of cases. The kids will be malnourished.

So, knowing that glazed donuts won't fall from the sky and some parents won't take responsibility, what's your proposal? More bitching?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Re: the conflation of "food insecurity" with "going hungry" ... see what I mean?

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I know this sounds callous but reading the thread title, I thought this was going to be a Poin-files account of a science teacher in Iowa stalking some kid in a summer rec league.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.