1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When player of the year stories aren't enough ... award show!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jack Burton, May 14, 2015.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Little Rock is also doing an event similar to Chattanooga's as well. Of course Chattanooga and Little Rock have the same ownership so it makes sense.

I thought Chattanooga's had been modeled after what Jackson was already doing, but that's obviously wrong.

My paper's group has been approached about such a thing but I'm not really clear where the revenue comes in at and neither were my bosses.

And you could get Drew Brees at your kid's birthday party if you were willing to pay his appearance fee and cover his entourage's travel.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Haven't had anyone I'd consider a big name speak at our event, but we did have an Olympian speak last year. The ad folks try to get someone who has ties to the area or is well-known statewide.

Yep. You get to see athletes in a different environment and get to meet their families. It's more relaxed, and -- in covering my paper's event this year -- had more fun talking to the kids because of it.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

When I first read this all I could think was "what's the big deal?"

It sounds like a pretty good idea and a nice event for everyone involved, except you apparently. If you're so miserable that talking to a high school kid makes you cringe, I would assume you're a former college beat writer or pro beat writer that is disgruntled and probably should look for employment elsewhere.

My advice is to enjoy what you have and the people you get to work with and write about. Not everything can be Notre Dame, the Rose Bowl or the NLCS. An awards show makes these individuals feel special and it gives your newspaper some very good credibility in its community as supporting the community. Why don't you see that? Why aren't you on board with that?

I've done college sports for over 20 years and I love going back and doing high school coverage when I get the chance. There's not one damn thing wrong with covering preps and I'm sure as hell not better than it or above it. Neither are you. But if you think you are, find another line of work. You're wasting your employer's time, your readers' time and your life.

You only get to ride this bus once. Why ride a bus that has no AC?

Batman, SBR, SFIND and 2 others like this.
  4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Just my two cents: My paper did our award show last night, and it came off really well. The kids and parents liked it, the paper turned a little profit, and the big bosses were happy. The publisher took us out for drinks and appetizers at Wild Wings after.

I was responsible for putting together the magazine we handed out, and it was solid as well. I got to stand on stage, shake hands, and got a nice round of applause when introduced. A lot of folks came up and talked with me after the show in the lobby, and I got feedback for my work that wasn't negative or complaints, which doesn't happen often in our line of work. I know there's the sentiment of "if they like you, you're not doing your job right," but this is just high school sports in a small community. It's OK to accept a little praise when it comes your way. It doesn't make you a "fanboi" or a homer or whatever other terms get thrown around here.

Pretty cool stuff. Yes, it was more work, but it got us out of the monotony of the same old story/photo stuff we do every year. I've already got a few new ideas to suggest for next year's event.

It's OK to try something different.

SBR, SFIND and Doc Holliday like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted