1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When part timers go bad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sad to say, I've seen worse. :( But you should at least get the score someplace in, say, the first four paragraphs.

Well, you get what you pay for. Let this serve as a harbinger of things to come with "citizen journalists".

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

WTD, not to assume, but if you ask this, you haven't been trying to get a body at 27 high school football games on a Friday night. :)

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It's one of the first things that happens, so of course it's going to be early in the story.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That story certainly sucked. It's what we'll be seeing from citizen journalist sportswriters
    only they'll be at much more important events.

By Citizen Journalist
    The Chicago Bears thrilled the world Saturday in Cutler's debut, throwing the football all over Soldierss' Field and completing a 42-17 win over the Baltimore Stallions.
    (of course the score will be wrong and all facts will be wrong too by the citizen journies. Part timers tend to get facts wrong.

5. fair enough!

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I don't like posting the story. We have all ran into poorly written stories, and I dare say, have done them myself. Writing is hard and soccer is difficult.

It's just not classy or professional to post it. Sorry, the story wasn't good, but it isn't the most awful thing I have seen submitted. How the hell can anyone complain about the work of a part-timer? You get what you pay for, and, who hired the guy in the first place?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Exactly. As awful as this is, try working with a volunteer stringer.

8. Damn. I thought I was cutting it close when I clicked on the "See Heather Graham's bra-less picks from NY."

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

We had a stringer go to one of our outlying towns for a basketball game, and he misspelled the town's name on every occasion in the story, two different ways. Neither way was anywhere close to the actual spelling of the town, and the two different spellings he did go with weren't even all that close to each other.

I would've been pissed, but I was amazed at how incredibly inaccurate it was. To this day I haven't seen anything like it.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Since we've got "Death of a Racehorse" posted, I see nothing wrong with posting this. The guy's name isn't there. It's a fine example of "how not to."

11. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

This story looks familiar. We had an intern who wrote this bad, if not worse. We had to almost completely rewrite his copy on a daily basis and he never got any better even with constructive criticism.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Where I used to work, there were stringers whose copy would start off okay but totally degenerate as you read it. It was like the inverse pyramid but, instead of the most important stuff at the top, that's where what good spelling and grammar there was in a piece could be found.

Draft saved Draft deleted