1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When minor league baseball teams get stoopid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Jul 3, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

If the papers don't run any coverage, I bet it won't be long until the team announces an about face and asks the papers to come back and cover their games.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I think it'd be just great if the papers starting running expanded gamers for the other Pioneer League team in the state. :)

Actually, that's some valuable real estate suddenly available and can be filled with a WNBA roundup.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yes, what's with Utah and extra Zs? Isn't the WNBA team the "Starzz?"

But honestly, even if you strike an agreement not to name the stadium, it's as bad as acquiescing on "the home of the Owlzzzzz." They don't get to decide what you call anything, period, and if you let them, what's next? Why can't we just start making shit up? Maybe we can start selling naming rights of our own -- "in our paper, it's called Mormon Tabernacle Field at Pizza Hut Stadium."

I'm tired of people trying to create their own realities. Had a marketing guy tell me a few weeks ago that he's lost faith in newspapers because "they don't seem to really care about truth anymore." I could help but blurt out, "your profession has made actual truth obsolete."

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The D News is still running scores and features.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Starzz moved to San Antonio and are now the Silver Stars.

But I agree, the Z fad got out of hand after the Jazz, Grizz (hockey) and Buzz (baseball, changed to Stingers, then to Bees) got it started. There have been untold number of Z names and I hate it. Everything from dead teams like the Freezze, the Pioneerz and more.

As for naming the field at my paper, it's mostly used at most once in a story and then in an info box with the Who, what, when and where stuff.

I usually don't name the stadium in any of my gamers, if that matters.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Think they make a similar bold stand if BYU pulls anything like this? I doubt it.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

The thing is, BYU -- or any reputable organization -- would never even consider something like this.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Would the Cleveland Indians threaten to yank credentials from the Plain Dealer if the paper refused to call Jacobs Field by a name such as the Happy Hunting Grounds?

9. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Then, of course, there's the University of Virginia's football stadium, called "the Carl Smith Center, home of David A. Harrison III Field at Scott Stadium."

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You mean the Owlz aren't stupid for just misspelling "Owls"?

The two papers were absolutely dead right.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or Scott Stadium as it is called down that way.
    One
    Fucking
    Name

Schools want to capitalize and sell naming rights and blow their sponsors and they expect us to play along. We'll call the facility the name of the facility. I still get grief from one school that named its basketball court for one sponsor in a building a guy shelled out a bunch of money to name. They want both. Yyaaa Court at XXzzz Center.
    Nope. XXzzz Center. And I don't give a shit what you promised Yyaaa.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup ... the suck-and-blow with the corporate names and big-time donors has gone waaaaaay too far.

We're there to staff the games and report on trends and teams and such. We're NOT there to call it xxxx Arena at xxxx Coliseum - or (Your Corporate Name Here) Stadium. Not our problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted