1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When minor league baseball teams get stoopid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/227349/3/

Smart marketing move, short-season rookie league team. Real smart. ::)

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed. The two papers are making the right call.

3. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

I doubt the Orem team truly cares about coverage. With Ogden and SLC already having minor league teams I bet most people didn't even know the Trib and Mormon news covered Orem baseball.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good for those two papers. And I don't think this is any small move by them, either. It's still a minor-league team in their coverage area.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Well, for starters I'll correct you. The Trib is not involved in this and doesn't cover anything outside SLC for the most part. The other paper is the Provo (Orem) paper and is the hometown paper. I think the Orem baseball team cares that they don't get game stories in the local paper. The Deseret Morning News has a Provo edition and covered all home games in an effort to boost circulation in the area.

Regardless, the team is foolish to think they, as a small-market, short-season team can, strong arm the only coverage it gets.

6. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

My mistake. Yes, pushing Provo away is quite stoopid.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

And this is why they call them "the MINOR Leagues."

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The upper-management should focus on sixth-inning give-aways and the on-field marketing schemes. That's what happens when people buy into their hype.

9. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I don't see why the newspapers have to refer to the ballpark at all. I would assume some kind of satisfying decision should be reached in that the team could just say "The Owlz lost at home, 4-2," instead of referring to the ballpark. Even further, a dateline would, in theory, take care of this.

It's a good thing that they keep their independence, and the quote from Wright about that is very strong. And I think that the Owlz ownership is stupid for disregarding a name - but then again, they put a Z on the end of their team's name, so rational decisions seem to escape them. To me, in the end, a name is a name, and I don't care what the place is called as long as it's understood where the game is.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the newspapers stance might have been different if the ballpark wasn't named after a car dealer. That's just a guess.

11. wonder if they're gonna run box scores / wraps / scores / anything?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hello Angels? You taught your minor league teams well.
    Remember how you looked stupid for screwing over Anaheim with the team name thing? Well, your rookie-league team is just as dumb...

Draft saved Draft deleted