1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When layoffs happen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, May 11, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The worst day I can remember in recent history was the day after they let about 35 people go at my shop -- and they did it by pulling people into the big cheeses office, letting them go -- the sending out one of those ridiculous corporate e-mail's that used words like "restructure" and "move forward to take this company to new heights."

One of my friends was one of the people let go -- she let me know about it prior to the company-wide e-mail and when I told some others in my department about it there was like this dark, gloomy cloud for the rest of the day.

I was torn as well -- part of me felt bad for the ones let go -- part of me felt guilty for being thankful that it wasn't my time.

I don't know how we're all going to continue to keep our noses to the grind and keep our heads up and all that stuff if we continue to have and/or read about days like that.

2. If you make above average money, then you should worried more than most.

Sad, but that's how things work.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

Anyone heard of Ben Cook, who wrote for BPH before it bought the farm and now writers for some annual sports magazines (Lindy's, I think), he's a terrific writer in my book. He once told me that he lost his job at his second newspaper for the same reason. He said the publisher called him in and said your the highest writer here and we have to cut budget, so you're fired!

4. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Smooooooooth. ;) :D ;D

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

You don't have to get fired or laid off to come to that realization.

Draft saved Draft deleted