1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When layoffs happen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Billy Monday, May 11, 2007.

1. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

Everybody at sizable dailies is worried about this it seems. So for those who know, when layoffs are made, on what basis are they usually made?
    Reverse seniority?
    Seniority?
    Evaluations?
    Drawing straws?
    I would think in this age, as newspapers strive to be relevant, that reverse seniority layoffs would just about be that last nail in the coffin of newspapers.

2. And yet I believe that's how it works at my shop...

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Union here, so it's last ones in, first ones out.

4. Chris_Mad Dog_Russo

Chris_Mad Dog_Russo New Member

I knew this one guy that got the boot after saying something really stupid.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Gotta love a good, old-fashioned meritocracy.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No kidding. Sort of like how the pairings for a golf tournament are set for the weekend to break ties. Though not making as much.

7. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

OK. I can see why a union would do this, though I don't agree.
    What about non-union newsrooms?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Unions: protecting the lazy and underqualified, and helping burned-out veterans mail it in since . . . God knows when.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Good lord, Russo finally figured out how to work a computer and he comes here? We're all screwed. I can feel my IQ drop and my command of the English language weakening.

10. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I guess it depends on how bad management thinks the newsroom bleeds money. I was laid off with a few other full-timers and every part-time worker in the newsroom. I think it was mostly to trim a little while scaring the remaining workers into doing more.

Make no mistake. Whether it's union, non-union, been there a few months, been there a few years, getting laid off for no reason other than to save them a little change feels like getting kicked in the balls. It's a sickening feeling to know that nothing you worked for really mattered. You're just an expendable cog.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Union-busting management: Cannibalizing your most experienced employees and decimating newsrooms in favor of inexperienced and incompetent kids who'll work for jack shit since ... one day before "God knows when."

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

kids get preachy here about the laziness surrounding experience, then turn around and rail about not working a second more than 40 hours. i don't think they can have it both ways.

Draft saved Draft deleted