1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When job posts say "No phone calls, please," does no really mean no?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, May 13, 2010.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

When the Cleveland Plain Dealer had an opening and their listing said "no calls."

I wanted to show just how much of an enterprising reporter I was, so I figured out which editor was making the hiring decision, managed to come up with his home number, and called him there.

I guess that wasn't good enough.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I'll tell you what, if you get the SE title, that means you answer your damn phone.
    I think it is incredibly arrogant to say "no phone calls" in a job ad.

3. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in. I don't think it's management's intention to be arrogant. The reality is that with as many job seekers out there as there are in today's environment, fielding calls about the post job post would be a hindrance to putting out the paper. Personally, I think it sucks. Applicants who won't question it will probably more corporate types. That said, I don't want to go through the rest of my life unemployed.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so i guess it's arrogant for a job seeker to think they are above the stated wishes of the person placing the job posting?

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

if it says "no calls please," it means "no calls please."

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

No, if it says "don't call," don't call. But it should never say "don't call."

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Are you kidding? The way the business is now, who has time to take phone calls from hundreds of people? And wouldn't they invariably be put off by just getting a minute or two on the phone? What do you do, abdicate all your other duties while you're hiring someone? Some of the guys who are doing the hiring are also designing pages, writing columns and maybe even taking prep games over the phone. And what of the people who think every call deserves five follow-ups? In a world where e-mail is a viable means of communication, I don't see a need for calls.

"No calls" strikes me as completely reasonable.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

If you're appyling for a job that says "no calls" it means that so many people are going to apply that you aren't going to get the job anyway, so don't bother applying.

9. Smasher_Sloan

No, it means the person hiring doesn't have time to spend on the phone.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Even if you get 100 resumes, they all aren't calling the same day. Six or eight a day spaced out over a couple of weeks.
    You're not going to convince me. It's part of the job. If you can't do it, turn in the badge.

11. Smasher_Sloan

That's nice that you can be sure it's only six or eight calls a day spaced out over a couple of weeks.

And that's based on what?

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

That's based on seeing application packets coming in 4 or 5 a day, not 20 or 25 a day.

Listen, if you're busy, tell the caller that you are really busy right now. Tell them to please call back and give them a day and a couple hour range of time. That should take about 30 seconds.

Draft saved Draft deleted